Author Topic: Jessie McKenzie Sutherland  (Read 14468 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Jessie McKenzie Sutherland
« on: Monday 21 March 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Jessie McKenzie Sutherland was born 1889  Sutherland Scotland
 daughter of John Sutherland  and Janet (Jessie) McKenzie

In familyseach I have found her married to David Alexander Gunn
26.1.1912 Vancouver Canada this making her 23 years old

Any help on emigration or family would be most helpfull
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline cccarson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Mckay Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick start, but David enlists in WW1 from New Westminster, BC, occupation is road foreman. He gives his next of kin as Jessie Mackenzie Gunn from New Westminster.

Here's a link to his Attestation papers with the CEF.
http://tinyurl.com/45s28tw

David dies in September of 1940, and is a widower by this time.
Here's a link to the Bowell Funeral Home record.
http://www.nwpl.ca/bowell/bowell.php?operation=Display&id=9957

Try searching that site for other references to the Gunns, and you might locate some children or another line of family.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank You
cocarson

I have fun with this tonight
I couldn't find Jessie's death

and no family is there another site like that for births please

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline cccarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
From what I can see on David's funeral card, it looks like they may not have had any children, or at least not any that outlived him.

I've also had trouble finding Jessie's death, but both David and Jessie are buried in the Fraser Cemetery in New Westminster BC.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank You she wouldn't come under the name of Janet as that is a family name too

Elizabeth

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

Canada has strict privacy laws and births are protected for 100 to 120 years depending on the province.

Here's the link to the BC Cemetery Finding Aid.  There are 11 records for Gunns buried in Fraser cemetery.
http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/homepage.html

I found your Jessie's immigration to Canada.  There was a Jessie M. Sutherland, age 21, domestic, born Scotland, aboard the Dominion sailing from Liverpool arriving Portland, Maine on March 30, 1912.  She was destined to Vancouver, BC, to join her fiance, Mr. Gunn.  If you would like to see the image, send me your email address via PM and I'll forward it.

I've searched both the BC Archives and the pilot family search sites for Jessie's death but have had no luck.  Have you checked for a death in Scotland on the off-chance that she may have returned to Scotland for a visit and passed away there?

Susan

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Was Jessie's middle name McKay or McKenzie? The marriage registration you referred to has it as McKenzie and indicates she was born in Caithness, not Sutherland.

There is a Janet McKay Sutherland who was born in Olrig, Caithness on 25 Feb 1890 but her parents were James Sutherland and Isabella Ritchie.

There is a Jane MacKenzie Sutherland who was born in Rogart, Sutherland on 24 Sep 1887 but her parents were Donald Sutherland and Elspeth MacKenzie.

There is a Jessie Sutherland on the 1891 Scotland census who is listed as the daughter of John and Jane Sutherland in Clyne, Sutherland who was born about 1885. From looking at births, none of those Jessie/Jane/Janets have a middle surname listed in the search results.

Do you have her birth registration from Scotland? I can't seem to find a Jessie/Janet/Jane McKay Sutherland who was born in Sutherland at that time.

The only Jessie McKay Sutherland I can find who was born in Sutherland to a John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie was born in Kildonan, Sutherland on 1 Aug 1864.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have just noticed i put McKay instead of McKenzie for Jessie's middle name
I have that many McKenzie all related but some they are entered as Mackenzie
Sorry about this
Jessie born in Kildonan is mine too
familysearch has the marriage of Jessie McKenzie Sutherland Parents John and Jessie McKenzie 

Elizabeth

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Mckenzie Sutherland
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have just noticed i put McKay instead of McKenzie for Jessie's middle name
familysearch has the marriage of Jessie McKenzie Sutherland Parents John and Jessie McKenzie 

If you go to your intial post and click on modify you can correct her name in the post and thread title.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz