Author Topic: Where is my Aunt Buried  (Read 4814 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my Aunt Buried
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you this is my grandfatherHi

On this post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,362275.0.html it is said that Alfred was still in the telephone book c1970.  It also says that his wife left him. 

Rosie Where is this information stated.
Thank you everyone for helping
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »

On this post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,362275.0.html it is said that Alfred was still in the telephone book c1970.  It also says that his wife left him. 

Reply 8 page 1 on the post I have given a link  to and reply 24 on page 2.  As for the phone book entry it is quite possible that Edith kept it in Alfreds name rather than be listed herself, not unknown for a now single woman living alone.

Rosie 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »

Reply 8 page 1 on the post I have given a link  to and reply 24 on page 2.  As for the phone book entry it is quite possible that Edith kept it in Alfreds name rather than be listed herself, not unknown for a now single woman living alone.

Rosie 

In fact my mum did exactly that from 1970 when my dad died ,till she moved away in 1975.  ;D

Carol

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Greetings

I have no idea what I am looking for, cannot find 8 page 1 or the rest
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Click on that link that Rosie gave you- which is the link to your thread about Alfred Lake- and go back to reply number 8,whihc is on the first page of the thread.

You mentioned that he was still listed in the phone book up to the 1970's.

And Rosie and I have now just explained that it wasn't unusual in the UK for widowed ladies or those on their own to keep the listing in the male's name for fear of advertising themselves as single women living alone.

Carol

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Carol
thanks for the image. i am sure not sure of the date that my aunt died. My brother said she was about 70 when she died but both of us had left England before 1963. I am sure my dad went to the funeral before i left.
but I cannot find anything on BMD so I am lost.
I am not sure how to get into the phone books.
All too much for me
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 07:09 GMT (UK) »
The phone books are on Ancestry and the up to date(1837-2005) BMD's are on there and also on Find My Past,in fact on any pay per view website.

A lot of the older BMD's can now be obtained Free of charge on Free BMD. http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

It is being transcribed by volunteers(like me!) and therefore is not yet complete,we're up to about the 1930's in the main,some records are even more recent than that though.You can check coverage on their main page.

Carol

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you do a fantastic job
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,