Author Topic: famhistbuff's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 22147 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: famhistbuff's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
very long shot but if James was born circa 1790 London and then there is a marriage of a Phoebe Mostyn to Thomas Avery in 1799 in Southwark
could this be Phoebe James mother?
i was also looking into that but i just cannot find anything yet but it is early!
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
the trial was under the name of James Butler

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18070114-30-defend439&div=t18070114-30#highlight

hopefully the link works  :-\

on 14th Jan 1807 he was 15 years old
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I've searched for marriage of William Mostyn(and variants) or Butler to a Phoebe but so far nothing, also looked for baptisms for children of William and Phoebe Mostyn/Butler and nothing so far :(

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
And confirmation

From NSW State records

"James Mostyn (otherwise known as Butler) - Date of death 27 or 28 May 1880, Granted on 22 July 1880" this is indicating PROBATE was granted on 22 July 1880...

A Question for familyhistorybuff .... have you accessed his probate packet at the Kingswood Archives office of NSW State Records, and does it give any further info to help?

http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
This may be way off track, but

NSW Electoral Roll 1870, The Hawkesbury (ie Richmond District where his 1880 death was registered)

James BUTLER, freeholder, Macdonald River
and
James BUTLER, residence, Pitt Town

and 1878 NSW ER again The Hawkesbury
James Butler, residence, Macdonald River
and
James Butler, freehold, Kurrajong.

but NONE under MOSTYN or variations on either roll ...  ???

Grevilles 1875 directory for the township of St Albans (again right area)  :  J Butler, Upper McDonald River,  and again none under Mostyn or variations ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Found another variation of the surname for you UK RChatters to consider:

Sarah MOSSON christening/baptism to James Mosson and Mary on 8 May 1817 (birth date of 10 Apr 1817) at Castlereagh and Richmond

(This is Richmond NSW, a fertile agricultural area on the north western outreaches of Greater Western Sydney, becoming an urbanised area in recent times)...

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Cheers,  JM

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »

At the moment I am searching under Mostyn however the London records I have access to baptisms go from 1813 not 1791 I would imagine that Phoebe would have been in her (early) 40’s in 1813 so not likely to be having children

I have looked on the marriages for father William Mostyn there are not many in the timeframe we are looking for and the one that is gives William Mostyn occupation as a traveller not a hatter!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Ummm.... traveller v hatter...

I have forebears at Gosport who were hatters, drapers etc around Admiral Nelson's time, and they employed travellers to journey to Devonport and to Ramsgate to outfit the various naval officers... Could be that chap you have found was a similar traveller, .... right era ...

Cheers,  catch up tomorrow, hope familyhistorybuff has been online by then.... its 10:40 pm here in NSW

JM

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
from Family Search

William MOSTYN
Male
birth: 1764

Marriages
 Phoebe FRAINE FRAME
female
birth: 1768

child 1: James Charles MOSTYN
Male
birth: 1790
London, England
death: 1880 May 27
Kurrajong, Nsw, Australia
burial: 1880 May 24
St Stephens, Kurrajong, Nsw, Aust