Author Topic: To all new Rootschatters  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
To all new Rootschatters
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
A couple of years back and a few hundred posts. I started my search for some family history. I had my Grandfathers marriage Certificate, knew when my parents married, their siblings or so I thought and that was it.

I checked a few things, then I found Rootschat. Then I started a tree, then I added a few things, then I posed some silly questions which always brought a friendly knowledgeable answer from helpful rootschatters.

It gained momentum, and a life of its own, I scanned all sorts of records for mentions, added more names asked more questions and have now gone from 1910 back a few generations to the 1200's in Durham England. I am sending for a family tree that has been kept in a University library for over 300 years.

All in all a very enlightening, and fruitful experience that has opened all sorts of doors and history to me. Check your facts, don't take the word of just anybody and write it all down.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Redda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: To all new Rootschatters
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Excellent story. I hope I have as much success :D

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
  • "You learn something new everyday"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
I'm a newbie too, been on my tree for a while, and just found out about this site through someone on FB.
I get very excited when I find out something new - I bet you feel the same.
Good Luck  :)
Chattell - London
Dew - London
Hubbard - London
Mace - London and Cambridge

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the excitement when you find something new ever wears off ;D
I've been doing my tree for a few years now, & just last week I received by email a photo of a cousin who was killed in WW1, & details of his schooling, thanks to the Archivist of Nottingham High School. I'm very pleased.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,  ;D
Apart from finding many connections to my family, I have discovered another key ingredient on Rootschat it is, as in all families someone is willing to help.

With the changing face of the family unit as it seems to going; it is going to get much harder to track the movement of people and their connection. Getting some of the history down now, is going to make it a little easier for coming generations. We all move around a lot more and people from all sorts of countries are now making up families so the name of a family is going to undergo many changes.

The one saving fact is the computer, it allows us to save time and travel in our search and along with a community of likeminded individuals makes the task a whole lot easier. :P
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads