Author Topic: Frederick Webb  (Read 4227 times)

Offline nicky35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Webb
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me any more information about the Railway educational association , Frederick Webb was awarded a certificate on the 1st March 1929 for fireman's preparatory instruction, we have always understood he did this in Canada , but he was from Salisbury England, would love to find out more

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Webb
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat!

This is quite interesting - it looks as if the Railway Educational Association was started in the early 1900s.  It was a correspondence school to train people to work on the railways.  It was based out of New York City.  It looks as if its founder was arrested in 1911 for mail fraud in connection with the school.  I assume he wasn't found guilty because he was obviously still operating in 1929.   

Here are some hits from the Google news search - the first one from the New York Times explains the arrest of the founder.   You should be able to view the full article for free.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ccu/

Here is an ad in Popular Mechanics 1929 for the REA:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ccv/

Here is another ad in Machinists Monthly 1902:
http://www.library.gsu.edu/dlib/iam/getBrandedPDF.asp?issue_id=67
In case this link doesn't go straight there - it is image 71 and page 398

Perhaps a railway expert can jump in and tell you more.  If this was a correspondence course, then I suppose your Frederick could have done it from anywhere.

RK :) 

Offline nicky35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information, we were told that Granddad Fred went to Canada for several years, but that is all we know, So I guess he could have taking the course there. Not sure where he was, although I know he would have loved it there as we do.
Anything you need checking here just let me know

Nicky

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 11 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky, 

I checked some Canada Arrivals lists for Frederick Webb (prior to 1929), and I stopped counting at 20!  It seems that there are quite a few possibilities.   

If you would like to know more about Frederick and his time in Canada, it would really help if you told us where and when he was born, who his parents were, if he was married when he was here, etc.  This would give us some leads to try to "track him down" :) :)

RK

Offline nicky35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kitty

Frederick Luke Webb was born in a small village called Britford Salisbury Wiltshire, August 27th 1906, His parents were Joseph Webb and Charlotte Webb nee Pomroy, he was not married , but married in 1932 here in the uk, we think he left Canada to return home 1929/1930 .
Thank you for your interest.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the additional information.  I think I have found him on the passenger arrivals lists.

He was on the Montroyal from Southampton to Quebec.  Date of arrival was 22 April 1928.  He is 21 years old and he was born in Bodenham, England.  He is going to farm.  It looks like he may have come on a government plan because his contact address in Canada is care of the Ontario Government in Toronto.  Contact person where he is coming from is Mrs. Charlotte Webb of Bodenham, Salisbury. 

He is the 6th entry on Sheet 21 of the Manifest for the Montroyal.  It sailed from Southampton on April 14th 1928.  The Library and Archives Canada microfilm number is T-14740.  Just scroll down to see the actual image (it is free from the LAC site  :)).
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cf9/

Does this sound like him?

RK   

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 March 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

There is a Frederick L. Webb on the UK incoming passenger lists:

S. S. Montcalm from St. John NB. to Southampton.    Arriving UK 21 Dec 1930.  He is a clerk and going to Geary Rd. London.   

I don't know if this is your Frederick or not.  There is no contact information given, and no idea of how long he has been in Canada - or where in Canada he had been living. 

**ADDED - this is definitely NOT him.  I found this man's arrival to Canada and his father is Frederick from London England.    RK 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 March 11 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

Now - this gets interesting!!  There are only a couple of UK arrivals for Frederick L. Webb, born about 1907.  Starting with arrivals in 1929/1930, there is the one I mentioned in the above post that is NOT your Frederick. 

There is a Frederick Webb born about 1905 who arrives in the UK in Dec 1929, but he is going to Birmingham and his profession is Mtr.Bdy Blr (whatever that is).  The birth year is a bit off, and there is no mention of Salisbury. 

So - I looked at later arrival dates. 
There is a Frederick L. Webb born about 1908 who arrives in the UK in 1936.  He is a farming agent and is going to London England

Then I found THIS - it seems to be the return voyage for the arrival I found earlier. 
There is a Frederick Luke Webb leaving on the Antonia from New York City - through Halifax - on 29 Jan 1934.  He is 27, from Bodenham, near Salisbury and he is a baker.  Doesn't say if he is married or not. 

So, if your Frederick was married in the UK in 1932, this might not be him - unless he came back and forth a couple of times???.   The middle name is correct, as is his mother's name and the Salisbury birthplace. 

RK 

Offline nicky35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information, I will check out the dates , I am sure the Uk arrival is him. Is there a way of tracing him in Canada , . I will let you know about dates.