Author Topic: reading messages  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Candace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
reading messages
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am new to the site but have posted a couple of queries.  The trouble is the replies do not appear on the roots chat welcome page. It still states I have only received two replies when in fact I have had more.  The replies appear in my email box so I access them from there. What am I doing wrong. In my email it states I cannot receive any more replies until I read the topic. I read the answers and always reply and thank the people for answering. Help am I just thick
Many thanks for looking
Chris

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: reading messages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's only the last few most recent posts that are listed on the Welcome page so not surprising you don't see your posts there.

At the top of the page you should see this-

Welcome back, Candace, you have ? messages, ? are new.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

The number of messages and how many of them are unread will vary according to what's in your PM (Personal Message) inbox.

The Show unread posts since last visit. will list all the messages that have been posted since the last time you've come online and Show new replies to your posts. will show threads you've posted on (either started by you or someone else) that have had new replies posted since you looked at the thread.

Does this help?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Candace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,  Thank you for replying.  I tried what you said. Your new reply did not come up under new replies nor indeed any of the latest replies to another topic I posted I can only access your reply and theirs via my email.
Chris

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Did you read this thread before checking the links at the top of the page?
If you have already viewed the topic and then click on Show unread posts since last visit. or Show new replies to your posts. the topic will not appear under either since you've already looked at the topic.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Candace,

If you want to check back on one of your posts, click on 'Profile' in teh boxes under the date and heading.
The page that opens is about you.
Scroll down to 'Show the last posts of this rootschatter' and all your posts are shown. You can then refresh your memory.  :)

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Candace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey many thanks for reply.  I have tried everything including the two you sent me all I get is there are no new replies which is funny as you have just replied. Also on the welcome page it states I have only two messages when I have at least eight it never seems to update.  I have clicked on anything I can find but I cannot access my messages from the roots chat site.
Thank you for helping me I do appreciate it
Chris

Offline Candace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood, Thank you for replying.  It worked and I can now see my posts. All I need to do is read my messages which I cannot access from the roots chat website only from my emails.  I have against my name at top of page " you have two messages 0 new ones " which is strange as you sent me a message. I have received at least eight messages but the number never changes its always 2. I have tried show unread messages since last visit " nothing " then I go to my emails and low and behold I have 2 messages. Beats me.
confused and fed up
Chris

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

you may be confusing messages as in Private Messages, and messages, as in repplies to topics.

see the first entry in this topic for a full explanation.
Topic: Messages, Replies and E-mails 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,161799.msg585308.html#msg585308

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Candace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob well I must be thick because in my emails I saw your reply so I logged on to roots chat clicked on new replies to your
Chris post and got " you have no new replies " so what is yours if not a new reply.