Author Topic: Sullivans of Glennakeel/Cappaphandeen  (Read 1807 times)

Offline RowanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sullivans of Glennakeel/Cappaphandeen
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for Sullivans from these areas but have very little to go on. I know that these areas are small townlands so am clutching at straws really.

My gggrandfather was a Michael Sullivan born around 1830. On his marriage entry on church records it says he comes from Glounachiol(Glennakeel). He married a Honora Nolan in Meelin in 1869(Her father was John)
Michael's father is another Michael but unfortunately no mother is listed.

Michael and Honora went to Carriganes/Ballydesmond after they married and had all their children there. Anyone have any details on whether they may be connected to the Cappaphandeen lot as they're not too far away and there's not many of them?
Any info or leads would be great.

Thanks

Sam
Sullivans and Healys in Cork/Kerry

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivans of Glennakeel/Cappaphandeen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
CappaPhaudeen

Offline RowanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
One of those places with ever changing spelling ::) :)  It's spelt my way in 1901 census but you're way in 1911.
I'm sure they do that just to make us searchers pull out more hair
Sullivans and Healys in Cork/Kerry

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The locals call it Caph. Local vernacular is always difficult to transcribe into a secondary language. what about the  Chinese who pronounce R as L e.g. rum as lum. Afterall they hear you saying rum.

Offline t.cappaphaudeen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: O'Sullivan's of Cappaphaudeen
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there is a connection or not....

I am one of many Sullivan descendants from Cappaphaudeen.  Two other family members and myself have only been able to trace back to Patrick O'SULLIVAN and wife Ellen DEMPSEY.  Patrick was possibly b. abt. 1834 Cappaphaudeen, Co. Cork, and Ellen b. abt. 1836 Co. Kerry.  One of their 8 children was Patrick Peter SULLIVAN b. Cappaphaudeen, and his God parents were Michael SULLIVAN and Ann CARROLL (we have conflicting b. date info for Peter so it's fr 1872-1874).  Maybe your Michael is a brother of my Patrick?  All but one of those 8 siblings left Ireland for America, a few descendants still live on the Ireland property.  CARROLL's and NOLAN's are also in my tree, however my Nolan's are not the same generation as yours, ours are further down starting when Nora SULLIVAN b. 1936 married Michael NOLAN b. 1925. 

Location/District, etc. have included:
Rockchapel, Newmarket, Cappaphaudeen (alternative spellings: Cappaphadeen, Cappaphandeen, Cappafadeen, Cappafadine, Cappafadedeen, Paddy's Plot ), Toorreenfineen, Kanturk, Brosna, Clonfert, Clonfert West, Kilmeen, in Co. Cork and Co. Kerry.  Real close to those borderlines. 

Other additional family names: MURPHY and GLEESON (and suspect others).