Author Topic: Second opinion and poss Huguenot connection  (Read 5202 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Second opinion and poss Huguenot connection
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 March 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Some extra info for you.

Jean Jaques Loriaux is first noted in England in 1781, when he married Anne Hoinville 11 Aug 1781   St Dunstan's Stepney, recorded Anglicised as "John James Lorreaux". She had been born in London and baptised at the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church Oct 12 1752, to Pierre/Peter Hoinville and his wife Susanne. He joined the same church 31 March 1782 on testimonial of a Marie Anne Lorriaux.

They had the following children baptised there:

Jacques (James) Loriaux, born 24 May 1782, baptised June 1 1782, Godparents Pierre Hoinville & Marie Anne Lorriaux

Susanne Loriaux, born 21 Feb 1785, baptised 20 March 1785, Godparents, Pierre Antoine Campin & Marie Hoinville

Anne Loriaux, born 16 May 1787, baptised June 10 1787, Godparents, The child's father & Anne Hauchecorne
Hauchecorne

They continued using the church well into the 19th century, when Susanne married and had her children baptised there:

Marianne Therese Woodbridge, Born 9 May 1816, Baptised 16 June 1816, Godparents Jean Jaques Lorriaux & Marie Lorriaux

Guillaume (William) Lorriaux Woodbridge, Born 30 Nov 1819, Baptised May 31 1819, Godparents  Jacques Loriaux and the childs own mother

Jean Jacques (John James) Woodbridge
, Born 30 Aug 1822, Baptised 22 Sept 1822, Godparents Jean Jacques Loriaux  and the childs own mother

Jacques Pierre (James Peter) Woodbridge, Born 9 Oct 1826, Baptised Nov 12 1826 Godparents  Jacques Loriaux and the childs own mother

Jean Jacques was one of the very last dozen or so Huguenot refugees to London, part of a handful of families from the Cambresis area of France, around the protestant village of Quievy. He arrived less than a decade before toleration and some civil status was regranted to Protestants in France by Louis XVI. The wider Huguenot community itself in London was well in the process of dying out to assimilation. By the time Susanne was baptisng her children there in the 1820's there was barely 4 or 5 children baptised a year (compared to serveral hundreds at the very height of the church's life in 1680's and 1690's), and probably no more than a couple of dozen families regularly using the church (including my own, my g-grandfather was the organ blower, so our ancestors no doubt rubbed shoulders!)

Jean Jacques/John James applied to the French Hospital London March 7, 1825 aged 73, describing himself as a religious refugee from Cambrai, and was admitted a year later June 3, 1826. He died there Aug.23, 1832 aged 79.

His edest son Jacques/James, Susannes brother,  applied to be an inmate the same week their father died there on Aug.28, 1832 aged 52 adress No.5 Wellington Row, Virginia Row, Bethnal Green, occupation Silk Weaver. He was admitted two and half years later on March 7, 1835 and died there Oct.27, 1861 also aged 79, being buried by his family at Victoria Park Cemetery, where the New French Hospital was then in the process of being built.

Hope that helps a bit with your searches.

Regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline illjaorterpa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Amazing information. It is all very interesting and such detail! I have followed the family of my 3x great grandfather William and his brother John James both of whom ended up living in Birmingham which is where I am from. Thanks to the information from Trish I discovered their sister Mary Ann and her family. Many of them were given the name Loriaux or versions of it as middle names - although not passed on to the later generations so this all new to my family. However I cannot find any sign of James Peter so perhaps he died or emigrated before the census/offical records started. And now I can get back another couple of generations as well!

Thank you
Jill
Wood - Worcestershire
Porter - Coventry & Birmingham
Ward - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire
Green - Birmingham
Stanbra - Birmingham & India
Law -Birmingham
Rabbit - BIRMINGHAM & Ireland & Canada
Jones - Worcestershire
Duffin - Warwickshire
Smith - Walsall/Perry Barr/Handsworth
Makepeace - Coventry/Northamptonshire
Hands - Warks
Taylor - Warks
Salmon - Warks
Upton - Birmingham
Fawdry - Warwickshire
Ridlington - Lincolsnhire, Cambridgeshire

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
No problem at all Jill. Also meant to add in regards Susannes mother, Ann, she was the first child born to her parents in England, they had come very shortly before 1752 as refugees from Normandy, her father Pierre/Peter Hoinville originally a native of St. Pierre Le Viger in Normandy, and her mother Susanne Potel originally of St. Nicholas de La Taille. I think they were possibly married in France before coming over, as no record of a marriage here.

Both buried in Bethnal Green

Susanna Hoinville     Burial     19 Sep 1761     St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex
Peter Hoinville      Burial     6 Mar 1791     St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
There is a submitted entry on the IGI which claims to have info further back on Peter in France, though obviously can't vouch for the accuracy or otherwsie:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/AF/family_group_record.asp?familyid=7298521&frompage=99

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Excellent result esp. with the detailed info provided by ypu richarde1979.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline illjaorterpa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have more details about this family line now than I do the English lines (ha!ha!) and to think a few days ago I didnt even know they existed and now I feel quite close to them.
Wood - Worcestershire
Porter - Coventry & Birmingham
Ward - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire
Green - Birmingham
Stanbra - Birmingham & India
Law -Birmingham
Rabbit - BIRMINGHAM & Ireland & Canada
Jones - Worcestershire
Duffin - Warwickshire
Smith - Walsall/Perry Barr/Handsworth
Makepeace - Coventry/Northamptonshire
Hands - Warks
Taylor - Warks
Salmon - Warks
Upton - Birmingham
Fawdry - Warwickshire
Ridlington - Lincolsnhire, Cambridgeshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
I understand what you mean :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)