Author Topic: Thomas Edmund Hudman  (Read 13082 times)

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Edmund Hudman
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cjraf, Thank you for your info. I did know a little abt Thomas Edmund Hudman and abt Sir Thomas Pile and the visit of Queen Victoria (if my spelling goes to pot blame the cat) I know abt Sir Frederick Pile and the Battle of Britain Class engine named after him which is to be rebuilt only a few miles away from me in Hampshire.
But thanks "loads" for the new info. yes if you have more info i would be pleased to receive it, then if i find anything new i will inform you. I'm covering my whole family and am not concentrating on one branch -- I find going with the flow easier with my limited time. But I have found Rootschat extremely useful  with the little "niggles" that occur.
Regards Debbie 
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Offline Cjraf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Debbie, apologies for delay in replying - busy weekend.

Attached gives extracts of HUDMAN census entries I have found - presume you have these?  Also has Thomas' biography and newspaper cutting for his funeral.

I also have originals of census entries and some photographs as listed below, but too big to send on rootschat, so would need an email address.

Photograph of HUDMAN & WHYTE graves at BALBRIGGAN.
Photograph of house in RAHENY where Dorothy lived & died following death of husband Lewis.
Photograph of Altar cloth embroidered and presented by Dorothy to ST George Church, BALNRIGGAN in memory of her son Alan killed in a car crash on Christmas Eve 1936.

I also have some information on the WHYTEs, but still researching this - due to lack of available  Irish records on-line we can only do this now in person during our visits to Dublin to see our daughter and grandson, so may take some time.

Presume you have details of Dorothy & Lewis' children? Assume you know Dorothy's 2nd son Morris used the name Patrick WHYTE for his acting career (not Patrick Hyde WHYTE, so do not be confused if you google name).

How do you tie into HUDMAN family?

Only started this research a year ago following birth of our first grandchild, so have a long way to go to resolve all the many branches of family. Also taking a broad-brush approach to start with.

Colin
(*)

Moderator Note : Email Address removed as per Rootschat policy to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
RAWE (London), MEW (London), WHYTE (Dublin), FEEHAN, MCINERNEY (Dublin).

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi colin Thanks for that, dont apologise for delay- I know what you mean - sometimes there aren't enough hours in  the day!!
I have some of that info but not all.
I will send you my email address.
I didnt know Morris was an actor but he was in the army for some time and spent time in India.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34255/pages/980
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33251/pages/1255
http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000293483
My maiden name was Hudman.
I believe, if I havent muddled it up, that Dorothy's 3x ggfather was my 4x ggfather
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Offline Cjraf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Debbie,

Thanks for messages. I suspect it was Morris's India experience that got him involved initially with the movies - think he was a consultant on a Indian frontier type movie/series. Do not think he ever made it 'big-time' in acting, but had lots of 'bit' parts including in the classic series Peyton Place.

Understand there is some correspondence in the Irish Library Archives from his father Lewis about Morris's application for the Army.  I will try to get a look at these if I have time when we next visit Dublin.

Glad you had his middle name as Hudman - I now only have to find out how exactly the middle names of his 2 brothers - Devereux Hatton and Alan Hayes - fit into the Whyte line. Hatton is probably from the Smyth - Hatton connection that set up Smyth & Co in Balbriggan - just need to prove it. Hayes has me at a total loss for moment, but will keep searching.

If you need anything else then you have my email address.

Colin

Offline ceemac23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 December 14 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin/Debbie
I have just begun researching your ancestor Lewis Whyte, in relation to the history of a local club in Balbriggan.  I am fascinated by the story of Lewis Whyte.  He lived very close to where I now live, and was a founding member and patron of Balbriggan RFC.  I would love to get in touch with either of you, if you are still online in rootschat.  Best Regards, Caroline

Offline Cjraf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

I am still researching the WHYTEs and the family association with Smyth & Co Balbriggan. Have probably got some more information since last posts, so let me know what you may want. Information on Smyco is a little vague still, but do have some bits and pieces. Lewis was involved in several Balbriggan clubs I believe, including the RFC and Golf Club, so would be most interested in anything you may find. Mr Cashell was the last manager of the company when it closed. I have not heard from his son Robert in a couple of years now, but Mr Cashell senior and his wife were alive and living in Balbriggan last time we were in contact.

Colin   

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »

Offline ceemac23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Thanks so much for your reply.  We know Robert very well; as he is still actively involved in the rugby club.  Unfortunately, his father passed away in the last year or so.  His mother is still alive.
As I said in my previous message, Lewis Whyte was a founding member of Balbriggan RFC.  He may have been the first President of the club.  I don't think that he was involved in the Balbriggan Golf Club, as I believe that was established in the mid 1940's.  I did find something about him being associated with a Hurling Club/team in the town. I also found an old newspaper article about Lewis producing a play called The Wreckers, with the Smyco Players, to raise money for a school fund.  It says in the article that Lewis and his son Alan painted the entire set, and Alan did all the special effects for the play.
Is your family descended from Alan or Patrick? Do you have any photos of Lewis?
Again, thanks for getting in touch. Any further information that I come across, I'll send on to you. Or if you have any information/stories, I would be delighted to learn more.   
Kind Regards, and Happy Christmas,
Caroline

Offline Cjraf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

I did fear worst with regard to Robert's father, but was unsure. We met him only the once and he was most helpful and took us to see the embroidery in St Georges church undertaken by Dorothy ( Lewis's wife) in memory of her son Alan. My wife Angela is descended from Lewis and Dorothy's eldest son Devereux. He married Mary McInerney of Balbriggan and their eldest child Ellen Philomena is my wife's mother (now deceased). Sadly the marriage resulted in Devereux and Mary leaving Balbriggan for good, although it had been the intention for Devereux to take over from Lewis running Smyco. Patrick (correctly Morris, the second son) was never really involved in the company and Alan died young. I will recheck the golf comment as I thought I found a newspaper article about it. They were indeed heavily into amateur dramatics as well as other local events.

I will get back to you after Christmas (probably New Year) with more information and some pictures. I will need to look into the PM system on roots chat for doing this as direct email may be better. Best wishes for Christmas.
Colin