Author Topic: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop  (Read 33006 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Doak
« Reply #45 on: Friday 30 March 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
William John Doak's military papers are on-line.  He listed as next of kin as mother Sarah, older brother Joseph and younger brother Samuel.  Samuel is Samuel Edmund who died in 1942 in NY.     William John served from 1893 to 1914.  He enlisted at 18  and was in Transvaal, Sudan, and India.  He married Sarah Jane Doak in Gilford area (Newmills, of course) in 1903 and had Charles born jan 31, 1906 in Armagh, William Evelyn born June 6, 1908 in Aldershot, Samuel George born Feb 26, 1911 at Bordon, and Elizabeth Ileen born Sept 2, 1912 or 1914.  She was baptized at Newmills, but born in Thorncliffe or Shorncliffe. 

The dates vary a bit from the gravestone, but these are the dates reported to the Royal Irish Fuseliers.  William John received several medals.

Offline Stanley Doak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop
« Reply #46 on: Monday 12 May 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response!

I've gone back and checked but I can't find any record of a Martha Doak marrying before she married my gt grandfather. The only other Martha Doak listed married a Joseph Rudduck in 1861. My Martha was born in 1866.

I found the record for Martha Maxwell marrying Samuel Doak on 27 Jan 1870 at Newmills Presbyterian Church in Tullylish and have found 2 children - Sarah Jane b 12 Nov 1870 and James Alexander b 26 Oct 1872.

Not sure who Abraham and Samuel are! Abraham was born in Lurgan 1894. Don't think Samuel is Samuel Edmund as Samuel E was born Jan-Mar 1881 which would make him 20 by the time the census was taken on 31st March. There is another Samuel Doak born in the same area between June and Sep of the same yaer. Ive ordered certificates for both - will let you know what I find out :)

Hi, your discussing my grandmothers two brothers. My name is Stanley Doak I'm living in Lisburn Northern Ireland. Martha Doak is my great grandmother. If you would like to discuss further feel free to reply to this post.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 12 May 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
The Doaks are the most confusing line I have ever encountered.  We'd all love to hear anything your family remembers that would help us with the Doak line.  You will have to be specific when naming Doaks, as they were all named with such similar names. 

Offline bee dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, i hope im through to stanley doak, martha doaks g grandson. I am trying to do john george doak family tree. I am married to his grand son. I believe she would of been a brother of his. Would love you to get in touch with me, if possible.Thanks

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee Dee,if you post once more you will be able to PM on the board

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers Janette

Offline Stanley Doak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 07 July 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Our Martha was born in 1861 to Joseph and Isabella Doak who married in 1846. Martha had 2 sons and 1 daughter, Abraham, Samuel and Sarah-Jane Doak. We think their father was Joseph who passed away early in their life and Martha then met joe mccutcheon (not sure if they married) from our knowledge they had a son called Joe. Abraham went to Albany NY, had 2 sons Stanley (who i was named after) and Henry. Samuel remained here and had we think 2 or 3 girls, Eileen and eddy not sure of third name.

Sarah-Jane Doak was my grandmother and she married William John Doak (both doaks) William John was born 1876 and his mother was Sarah Doak (no name of father on birth certificate)

William John had to our knowledge 3 brothers and 2 sisters. The brothers were called Alex, Samuel Edmund and Joseph. Alex and Samuel Edmund both went to live in Albany NY. We only know one of the sisters names who was Sarah and one of the sisters went to America while the other remained Northern Ireland.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you again.  I followed the family members in NY except for Abraham.  I had a feel his son Henry died young as I saw him probably once in the census,  I can not give you the family tree yet as I am still without my tree, but "Old Fulton NY Post Cards" site is a major help. Google it and do a search on names and Amsterdam if you want the family descendents there now.  Only Alexander mentioned his parents in his obituary and he was vague about his Irish brothers.  It is a great help to have you pull all these folks together as one family. 

Samuel Edmund July 13, 1882 emig to Amsterdam, NY 1905, married Catherine Fraser White, and had children Edmund R., Samuel Ellwyn, and Kathleen.  Samuel was a gardener for my gt gt uncle and went on to own a florist shop. 

Samuel E.'s sister Elizabeth emig 1909 to Amsterdam, married John Terry died July 18, 1968 and had children James, Jonathan, Gerald, and Florence who married Seymour Young.

His brother Alexander b May 12, 1879 or in 1873 according to the Finlay tree son of Joseph and Sarah according to the obituary,  married Hannah Martha Finlay in 1900 in Ireland and emigrated to Amsterdam 1906.  They had several children including Edmund, Alex, and Lawrence.

Samuel's obituary  lists a sister Mrs. Samuel James Boyce (Sarah Jane) who lived in Ballydougan, as well as brothers Joseph and William  in Ireland, no location given. 

Abraham married into the Balmer family and never appeared on the social page as visiting Amsterdam.  I think he or Stanley was a pipe or steam  fitter or something mechanical like that in Albany.

If Joseph and Isabella Doak are parents involved, Joseph had father Alexander and Isabella had father William, both from Ballynagarrick.  They were married at Tullylish COI about the same time that other Doaks with Ballynagarrick father Alexander- Valentine who married Sarah Ann Adamson (as a guess his second wife was Priscilla), William with wife Jane Hull, Margaret Doak who married James Doak.  Is there any indication they are relatives? 

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 00:23 BST (UK) »
As I look farther for Samuel, I find the report listing Tullylish COI marriages seems to contain Newmills marriages.  I'm not sure if I can distinguish who married where right now. 

Offline Stanley Doak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 13 July 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee Dee

The only info I have on john George doak was that he married Mary Ferguson on 11th July 1917.

I am going to New Mills Presbyterian in next few weeks to find out more info, will keep you all updated.