Author Topic: Seaman's Homes/Orphanages in London  (Read 3567 times)

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
Seaman's Homes/Orphanages in London
« on: Friday 25 March 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to find out about Seaman's homes in London, where children who were orphaned when their seafearing parents died were taken and taught a trade. I believe two of my relatives, a Edwin Alfred Munt born 1865 and his brother Frederick Munt born 1869 may have ended up in one of these after their father died, sometime before 1881. If anyone knows anymore about these places, or any possible names or locations I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,
Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Homes/Orphanages in London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Mercantile

The Merchant Seamen's Orphan Asylum (founded in 1827) originally in East London it moved to Berkshire in 1921, information and contact details: 

http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Dec2002/OrphansAtBearwood.htm

Royal Navy

The Greenwich Royal Hospital School (established in 1694) for the children of naval seamen who were orphaned or impoverished. The school moved to Holbrook in Suffolk in 1933.
The records are held at The National Archives in (Admiralty series) ADM 72, ADM 73, ADM 161, ADM 163 and ADM 164:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/ 

A history of the school at Portcities: 

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConNarrative.148/chapterId/3058/The-Royal-Hospital-for-Seamen-Greenwich-A-Refuge-for-All.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Valda, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline PeterM2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 December 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
A Fred Henry Munt b 1869 Gravesend was my ancester but he did not enter an orphanage. His mother brought him up after his father died at sea off the coast of California (according to my aunt).  Interestingly, his birth certificate gives the father as Alfred Thomas Munt but on his wedding certificate the father is stated as Edwin Alfred Munt. Confused, yes I have been until I saw Elissa's post that his brother was Edwin Alfred, so a mistake on the certificate. Does anyone have information on the vessel and date of the shipwreck?

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 December 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Peter,

I am so happy to hear from you, I have been searching for relatives of Fred Henry for a few years. I have Alfred Thomas' death certificate, he died onboard the Polam on the 12th May 1879, off the coast of Haiti. I would love to discuss more with you and send you some copies I have of crew lists for various voyages of his. My family has a few stories about what happened which I would be very keen to compare with your Aunt's. I will send you my email via personal message and look forward to talking with you.

It has made my evening seeing your message on here!

Best wishes,
Elissa

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elissa & Peter

Peter won't be able to use the personal message system until he has made another post.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea