Author Topic: Parents of Hannah MASON  (Read 1894 times)

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Hannah MASON
« on: Saturday 26 March 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to determine the parents of Hannah Mason, born @ 1844 in Ipswich.  She was living with her aunt Hannah Read Stow in 1851 and 1861 in Hadleigh.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Hannah Mason
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a baptism on the LDS pilot site for a Hannah Rebecca Mason 31st Dec 1848 at St Mary le tower Ipswich parents Michael Reed Mason & Maria Rebecca.
Thought there might be a Read/Reed conection.
Maudarby

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Hannah Mason
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 11 06:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I like the Reed/Read connection as well.  I wonder if Rebecca is Maria's last name or if they didn't put a last name for her. 
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Hannah MASON
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
I think it more likely that it is a second forename.  Clergy often didn't list the maiden surname of mothers.

MASON  Michael Read married MEENER  Rebecca/Maria Rebecca
in Shoreditch Reg District in 1847

Shoreditch June Quarter - Ref: 2 386

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clearing that up.  I didn't think Rebecca sounded much like a last name.  I still have a few reservations about this being the right Hannah, but at least now I can verify the information on the parents and see if they fit into the family.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
The FreeBMD transcriptions for the marriage had been done 3 times with 3 different variants for the maiden surname of Maria.

The IGI has this.

Michael Read MASON  to Maria Rebecca MOHUN
11 APR 1847   Saint Leonards, Shoreditch

You really need the marriage certificate so that you can make up your own mind. 

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you again.  I appreciate the new information.  I will try to get the certificate.
David

Offline beem261

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 22 18:31 BST (UK) »
 Hi,

New on here but I know the Michael Read Mason / Maria Rebecca Mohun connection as they are ancestors of my late husband.

They had one daughter named Hannah Rebecca (possibly Hannah Elizabeth Rebecca in one census).

I have the marriage and death certificates for Michael Read Mason but I have got a bit of fog regarding Maria Rebecca Mason nee Mohun after 1861 census.  Doesn't help that her brother's second wife was also Maria and was born in the same year. 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 22 14:07 BST (UK) »
Old thread but for anyone coming across this, the Hannah Mason in question here is not the daughter of Michael and Maria.

She was the daughter of a William Mason and Charlotte Crussel(variants include Cresswell) who married 27/11/1826 Hadleigh.   Her birth reg'd jun qtr 1845 Ipswich mmn Creswell.  She married an Elijah Smith 1863 Ipswich.  (She had a brother Theophilus and named one of her children after him).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk