Author Topic: COMPLETED: Morpeth Lunatic Asylum 1911 - Isabella Mary Gray  (Read 5174 times)

Offline ZoeElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Morpeth Lunatic Asylum 1911 - Isabella Mary Gray
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This is my first post. What a wonderful site.

My relative Isabella Mary Gray (born 1847) was in Morpeth Lunatic Asylum as a patient in 1901 and died in 1912, so I am presuming she died in the asylum.

I have access to the 1911 census on findmypast.co.uk, but don't know what street to search for the asylum under, so can't find her.
Can anyone help?

Also, if anyone has easy access to the Woodhorn stuff, I would be thrilled to get any more concrete evidence/information on this lady, who is my great great grandmother.

Thank you so much,
Elizabeth

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth Lunatic Asylum 1911 - Isabella Mary Gray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
welcome

My first thought was why not just look for her by name and age. This shows an Isabella GRAY at 54 South Row, West Sleckburn. Is this not her?

If not then maybe the Institution has not listed its inmates by name very well.

Note that the moderators are very touchy about the 1911 census so don't qotue much detail or they'll delete it.
It's to do with breaching the Ts&Cs of the FindMyPast usage. Even this message may be redacted.

Bryan

Offline ZoeElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

(And sorry !)

I did search by her name, and I don't think any of them are her, since the children don't match.
However, you have opened my eyes to the possibility that maybe she "got out" of the institution.

Elizabeth

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth and welcome to rootschat
"redacted"?  That's a big word for this time of day!    The original poster can quote as much of the 1911 census as they like because it is their own family.  It is others who have to beware as they are not doing personal research and can only give details which are available on the free index.  There are lots of suggestions for how to search the index on this thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html
Some institutions only show initials but others do give full details so you may be lucky - especially if Bryan is correct.
Regards
Andrea

Offline ZoeElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Wow. Thank you. Very helpful. I can't believe I've not used this site before !
But in any case, do you know what STREET asylum is on, for 1911?

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
I searched by address in FindMyPast looking at Morpeth in County Northumberland.
Nothing helps to pin down where the Asylam is but I got lucky when I looked at Schedule 9999.

If you want to get there somewhat easier then you could go for the name of Master of the Workhouse who was Samuel HOEY age 38 and supposed therefore to have been born in 1873.

I actually think Isabella is not there - she was living with her son.

Bryan

PS the Workhouse is not shown as being on any street.

Offline ZoeElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That's one avenue closed then.
What's Schedule 9999?

Elizabeth

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Morpeth Lunatic Asylum 1911 - Isabella Mary Gray
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Schedule 9999

When you do a search by address in FindMyPast you tend to get a town in a county and then an enormous list of entries - seems to be one for each household.

If there are street names and house numbers or house names then it's not so bad scanning down them. However lots of case there's no such help and you just have schedule numbers in the left column. Sometimes the same schedule number repeated so what I said above about a different Schedule Number for each House seems not right.

Anyway having looked at various entries and getting nowhere I thought where do you put the Workhouse - at the bottom out of sight and mind. Down at the bottom was the number 9999 which was totally out of sequence as te other numbers did not go that high. And that's where the Workhouse was. I expect this may apply in other towns.

Bryan

PS - I've noticed that the Schedule number is written in the top right corner of the census forms. Does not seem to be of much use unless you are searching by Address.