Author Topic: Capain Arthur Haynes bn abt 1742  (Read 3338 times)

Offline aarpee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Capain Arthur Haynes bn abt 1742
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Haynes family on my wife's side. A John Haynes born Peasmarsh, Sussex mother Margaret born Scotland possible maidenname Sloane from Rye, married a John Haynes in Surrey in 1805. I have found a John Haynes baptised Birsay 7/9/1770 father Captain Arthur Haynes and mother Janet Ross baptised by a minister from Sandwick and Stromness.
Has anyone any info if John or Arthur left Orkney and ended up in Sussex?? being a Captain was he in the army? did they move to Sussex with the military...or as per usual am I barking up the wrong tree?

many thks any info at all on Arthur Haynes
Proctor/Rawdon Idle, Moore/Aldwinkle, Whittingham/Draughton, Lund/Carlton Simpson/Knaresborough, Mawson/Idle Ramsden/Shipley
Dachtler/London, Moult/Hazel Grove, Mottershead/Poynton, Green, Byrne and Haynes/London

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Capain Arthur Haynes bn abt 1742
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Dont know if this will be any help,  I found a relative of mine in the records of the Hudson Bay Shipping company, he was listed as Captain and was a shipsmaster, who it is both documented as retired/deserted whilst in Ontario and settled there,  it seems he took up position as a civilian ships-master(Captain).  I only mention this as it is another channel for you look into. 

here is the link

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/resource/ship_rec/types.html
Leask, Linay, Flett, Spence - Orkney
Feeney - Glasgow and Ireland
O'Donnell, Devlin, Campbell - All Ireland
Flacharty - Glasgow/Ireland
Sangster - Aberdeen
Johnston and Bruce - Northumberland In or around Wooler
Cameron, Campbell and Livingstone - Argyll
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow