Author Topic: Henry Lesk and Janet Linay m. 15/1/1813  (Read 5752 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Lesk and Janet Linay m. 15/1/1813
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
there are always more questions than answers in this game!!!
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Too right,  but thats what makes it fun, isnt it ?????  lol
Leask, Linay, Flett, Spence - Orkney
Feeney - Glasgow and Ireland
O'Donnell, Devlin, Campbell - All Ireland
Flacharty - Glasgow/Ireland
Sangster - Aberdeen
Johnston and Bruce - Northumberland In or around Wooler
Cameron, Campbell and Livingstone - Argyll
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
not sure if we,ve solved a mystery or created another one? are the henry and janet in victoria street connected to your tree?
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Snoopbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
LOL, its just possible there were 2 marriages of a henry leask and janet Linay, but i think I made the mistake of assuming that Janets parents would be from the same parish ( ie Kirkwall and St Ola) so may have jumped to the wrong conclusion as to her parents ???

Your findings are closer to the 'about' age of henry Leask's spouse given in both Cursiter and IGI, so I am leaning towards your findings being more accurate.  This is a snippet from the cursiter page

Janet LINAY (F).......................  C: 25 Oct 1788                                                                         
           Father: John LINAY                       St. Andrews, Orkney, Scotland                                                       
           Mother: Jean SPENCE                                                                                                           

Janet LINAY (F).......................  B: Abt 1792                                                                             
           Spouse: Henry LEASK                      Of Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland                                                       

Janet LINAY (F).......................  B: 6 Oct 1797                                                                           
           Father: Robert LINAY                     Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland                                                           
           Mother: Ann THOMSON                                                                                                           

so you can see where I am coming from.  However if you have found the deaths of Henry and Janet then the info is likely to be more accurate by then. 

Sigh !!  still leaves some nagging doubts

On Henry's death did it say anything about his occupation?  I have him as Carpenter/shipbuilder on his son James' Wedding cert.

regards

Eddie
Leask, Linay, Flett, Spence - Orkney
Feeney - Glasgow and Ireland
O'Donnell, Devlin, Campbell - All Ireland
Flacharty - Glasgow/Ireland
Sangster - Aberdeen
Johnston and Bruce - Northumberland In or around Wooler
Cameron, Campbell and Livingstone - Argyll
Gray, Gardiner - Glasgow

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 March 11 08:15 BST (UK) »
Henry was a carpenter on his death cert and a boatbuilder/carpenter on the census. I have sent you a personal message