Author Topic: John Austin  (Read 1636 times)

Offline BEAP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Austin
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for a John Austin that was born abt 1620 somewhere in England.  The following is about all I have so far.
The Original Lists of Persons of Quality; Emigrants; Religious Exiles; Political Rebels; Serving Men sold for a term of years; apprentices; children stolen; maidens pressed; and others who went from Great Britain to the American Plantations 1600-1700 Edited by John Camden Hotten; BOOK:E187.5 H794 (also found on internet)
PG:117 & 118l Primo die Augusti 1635
Theis vnder-written names are to be transported to Virginea, im-barqued in the Elizabeth de Lo: Christopher Browne Mr examined by the Minister of Gravesend touching their conformitie to the ordrs discipline of the Church of England the men have taken the oaths of Alleg: Supremacie.
Ye Port of London
Jo: Austin..........24
Index:PG:511; Austin, John 118

He lived and died in Connecticut, USA I have information from the Connecticut records, but am trying to find his parents and where he was born at.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Austin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hiya Beap and welcome to Rootschat.....if you go to
www.familysearch.org and then on the home page go to Advanced Search
John Austin
birth /christening
1615  + / - 5 years

36 results for John Austin /Austen /Austyn ......click on them one by one to see if any are shown as death in Connecticut
.......good luck
allan
ADDED.....Do you have a place /date of death....ie there is one for Greenwich,Fairfield,Connecticut 25th aug 1657
a date /year/place will help greatly
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Was his wife Catherine /Kathryn ...2 different spellings for his wife ....
born 26th Mar 1820 Horsmonden,Kent,England
father Benjamin Austin
married Catherine in sept 1649
died 25th Aug 1657 Stamford,Fairfield
 ???
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline BEAP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have been on the new.familysearch program and I don't know where everyone got their information that Benjamin Austin is his father.  I have not found proof of that yet.  I do believe the information on found on the ship record I posted is the right person.  I checked the index and it is listed as John.  There is no other ship record that fits my John Austin.  The other ship record states Jonas and that is not our John.
 Our John did not get married till after he was gone from New Haven to Fairfield.  It is by all the information I have gathered that tells me so.  He did not get married in England before coming here.
  So if you can show me proof of Benjamin being his father, then I can feel better for it.  But looking at his decendants there is no Benjamin in the line till you get way, way down.
  I have spent many hours in the Salt Lake library researching my John Austin and have copies of everything I have on him. 
  Thank you for your help and hope we can work together to solve this problem.  I believe John came from London before going to the US.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
I totally agree Beap...there are SIX different births given for John with father given as Benjamin...all SUBMITTED...so...it is people clutching at straws....as you say...NO proof
allan :o

Offline BEAP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Allen for your reply.  I believe the information that is listed above in the ship records is our John.  I believe as an indentured servant (if people would read what that means) was sent over here to work off his debt.  I believe while working in the tobacco fields, and his time was up, he was able to transport tobacco to Connecticut.  He lived first in New London on property that was given or granted to him, but when the Puritains came they wanted his land.  Like Winthrop.  So he left and went to Long Island then to Fairfield.  I believe while at Long Island he met Catherine.  After his death and his son Samuel, Catherine md Hubbard.  I have her children by him and some of their descendants.  This is how I feel his life went.  I just don't know where in London he came from and his parents.  How are you related? I come through Thomas, Jonathan, Jonathan, John, John, to Alanson.
Thanks again. 
Beap