Author Topic: Chicago 1901-13  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago 1901-13
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 05 00:57 BST (UK) »
Poor Bridget!  She was 15 when married??!!  Looses 10 or 11 children, gets dragged all over the world, has a dodgy husband who lies about her age in the wrong direction for his own benefit and then she dies before she's 50 in a "strange" land and he doesn't have enough money to bury her!!   WOW!  Sounds like Danielle Steele mini series! Or  Frank McCourt!

Yes, searching for the Irish is really a challenge.  The Fanning's, farmers -  gee, that's a unique profession -- with only 10 names among 60 or 70 in five generations --  Lawrence Martin, Martin Lawrence, Michael Francis, Francis Michael, etc., etc,.... and everybody nicknamed "Bud"!  Has made me crazy!

Anyway, Nigel, good luck with your further searching.  If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline ndedross

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 April 05 13:35 BST (UK) »
Kathy - you almost have the synopsis right. But, Bridget might never have actually legally married James. He told the family that she followed him back from his Hussars postings in Ireland and they married in England - only one thing missing (no civil or military marriage certificate). They could have married in Ireland. Unlike the spouses of James' siblings, no one in the family really seems to have met her or knew much about her (I assume he kept her hidden away!).

Many thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Nigel
Dedross. Gallaway. Starling. Singleton. Atkins. Burkinshaw. Chippendale. Shacklock. Lightfoot. Fisher. London. Middlesex. Yorkshire. Switzerland.

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Nigel, hope you are not thinking I am a nosey Parker --  but your (James' & Bridgets', rather) story is fascinating.

I saw this entry before but failed to mention in regards to your U.S. searach.

In 1881 UKCensus there is a James & Bridget Dedross @ the Royal Artillery Barrack,Shorncliffe,Cheriton Kent

James born 1857 in St. George Surrey
Bridget born 1862 in Ireland

Is that them?   I can only view the recap of the transcription, not the actual record.

Both birthdates are off from the dates previously indicated.

Okay, I'll stop now....but you should write a book!!

Best regards,
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline ndedross

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Yes that is William and Bridget. Sadly for him, his parents did register his birth in 1851 (and he has a brother born in 1857, so its not a 'second' William in the same family). The most likely birth date for Bridget is currently about 1864/5 in Ireland. So, in 1881 he was 30 years of age and she was about 16! But, a 24 year old man married to a 19 year old woman doesn't seem as bad! A six year difference - but it is up to eleven years by 1901.

In 1881 he is living in 'officers' accommodation - so must have been a batman, or similar to an officer (James was a Private). Oddly, his regiment went to South Africa and got slaughtered, but he didn't go with them.

On his return to England two of his sisters took pity on him - they believed what he had told them about owning a business in Chicago that went bust. When they found out he was only a laborer in a meat factory they kicked him out. He went to seek shelter at my great grandfather's house - he gave him a meal and sent him away. He eventually found shelter with another sister in Bermondsey.

I have tons of stories about my ancestors (this is one of the tame ones) - the 7 Old Bailey Trials are really interesting!

Nigel

Dedross. Gallaway. Starling. Singleton. Atkins. Burkinshaw. Chippendale. Shacklock. Lightfoot. Fisher. London. Middlesex. Yorkshire. Switzerland.

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
Nigel,
You lost me a bit there --  Is this James & Bridget or another brother William & Bridget.  2 brothers sharing names of James William?   

Anyway, as I said, you should publish or write a script!  Can I find record of the Old Bailey Trials?

My family search took a turn today on the King side leading from Buck to Devon circa 1809.  Fingers crossed some kind soul will find info and reply to my postings!  You have me spoiled now,  I'm looking for mystery & intrigue --  finding very little except now I know where my families craving for diary products & fine carpeting comes from!

Cheerio!
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline ndedross

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Kathy,

Sorry - I put in William instead of James in the last message.

The Old Bailey Trials  - search on

Deadrow - he was French Speaking (Nicholas Dedross) in 1771, and a witness. A real juicy muder trial of Henry Stroud who was framed but still hanged.
Dedross, Deadross, Deadrose, Deaddross searches should bring up the criminals! 1782-1829. Old Bailey Records are all phonetic, so the name is written as interpreted by the recorder. All these reprebates are mine! Mind you, if you read the earlier trials, William Deadross is framed in 1785 (because he got off, on a technicality, an earlier charge that year - which he was clearly guilty of). Thats how it worked!

Nigel

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 April 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
Nigel, Great!  I'll look them up!  Sounds like good reading for Anglophiles.

Best of Luck with your continued searchings,  been nice Chatting with you!

Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline marykk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 June 05 01:35 BST (UK) »
Nigel,

If your information leads you to an address in Chicago, you may be able to find a picture of the address on the Cook County Assessor's website. 

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/

There are plenty of 100 year old homes and apartment buildings still standing. Go to "online tools"

Cheers,

Mary

Kennedy, Flaherty, Graham, Mitchell, Hackett, Barrett, Barnett, Gibbons, McNamara, Leahy, Hannigan