Author Topic: Carpenter / Joiner  (Read 4046 times)

Paul E

Re: Carpenter / Joiner
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 June 05 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alexander! :)

Now ...  do you happen to know anything about Ships Chandlers?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,62599.from1117924107/topicseen.html#msg257841

cheers!

Paul

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
I've only just found this thread so I can't follow the reference to the ships chandler but my other half is a joiner and a yachtmaster.

A carpenter works with rough timber which is just sawn. Roofing, flooring, shuttering. In the past making the structures for timber framed buildings.

A joiners works with planed and moulded timber. Doors, fitted kitchens, skirtings and architraves (doorframe to you and me). In the past they would have done the doors and windows.

Both are skilled trades and both would have served apprentices.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

My x3 great grandfather, who was born in 1785, was a cabinet maker by profession. His sons all became either 'turner', 'cabinet maker' or French polisher and so did their sons, right up to my grandfather who opened a fish and chip shop !

These questions are only asking for speculative answers (unless anyone really DOES know something)...
[1] would all these trades have sprung from an apprenticeship?
[2] if your own father taught you, presumably there would be no formal apprenticeship ? Was that common ? If you served no formal aprenticeship then could you still be a journeyman or did you need papers ??
[3] would such occupations be recorded as belonging to a company as. for example, i.e. the watchmakers company or the tallow chandlers company etc because I can't find any record of such an association.
[4] seeing as there was such a strong streak of 'wood' in the family, do you think it likely that previoud generations would have also been so employed ? I don't know how strong such trades were in families in the 18th century. Obviously if I can find carpenters etc further back then I may be able to trace my x3 great grandfather's family.
Any idea welcome !

Cheers, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Bryan.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 1938 - 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

I am a Carpenter/Joiner, time served apprentice....janeswan is correct in her definition.

Regards

Bryan
Brownell...Sheffield.
Rodgers....Sheffield
Harper...Great Barford,Beds. 
Hull...Roxton,Beds
Wostenholme,Sheffield, 
Elliot, Baslow,Derbyshire
Duke, Birmingham.....Sheffield
Palmer, Nottingham....Holbeach
Hall,Nottingham

:-*   8)    ::)     :o

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bryan.

I found my ancestor in successive censuses moving from being a carpenter to a joiner so I guess there is some differentiation in skill / status, as his sons make the same move.

Shame they aren't around to fix up MY dodgy DIY - the genes must have been too diluted over the years! :)

Paul

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have found the link for you. The Worshipful Company of Carpenters

http://www.thecarpenterscompany.co.uk/history.php

It gives the history from the 1200s and also gives a link to archives and talks about City & Guilds etc.

My other half, the time served joiner, thinks that the distinction between carpenters and joiners didn't occur until 1850-1900. He thinks that if the father was a master carpenter then he would be able to sign off the sons as time served apprentices. Even if they didn't have papers they would be able to work but maybe not in Stately homes or churches. If wood is in the family it is likely to be traditional rather like farmers, fishermen , framework knitters etc.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 June 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Jane - very helpful!

Paul

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 June 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Many thanks for the link and for the additional ideas. I feel that the woodworking may stretch back into earlier generations. I've had no luck tracing the father of my x3 great grandfather (other than I know his name is John !!) but there was a family in the same town in earlier times who were carpenters and hence it gives me a possible line of enquiry.

It's very strange actually since many years ago, when I had absolutely no idea of this connection, I myself underwent carpentry and bench joinery training on a government TOPS scheme. I passed the course but never took it up professionally - perhaps we have wood in our blood ! Thanks again for all the info, it's much appreciated !

Cheers, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 07:29 BST (UK) »
i am from a long line of joiners and carpenters,and we have always known the two trades as,carpenter,one who works in wood structurally and joiner,one who joins furniture and light woodwork,nowadays theres no ref to a carpenter only joiners,going off todays meaning,its a person who works with wood,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.