Author Topic: Bat man to Montgomery  (Read 7737 times)

Offline nicky35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bat man to Montgomery
« on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
As story has it , my Grandfather Frederick Luke Webb was bat man to Field Marshall Montgomery, we would very much like to know if the story could be true, all we know is his name, how can we go about checking the story out.

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bat man to Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
This website has Corporal W English as batman to Montgomery with photos.....unless there is more than one batman?

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/general/28605-field-marshal-bernard-montgomery-sort-5.html

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bat man to Montgomery
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 00:41 BST (UK) »
Well you'd think that Monty would have had more than one batman, wouldn't you?
Otherwise the poor guy would have been working 24/7!

As an aside - when I was small (during and just after WW2) - we were always being asked if we were related to Monty, having the same surname.  One day my Dad was so exasperated with these inane questioners that he answered "Yes, we're cousins 54 times removed!"  That became our standard reply and you'd be amazed how many people believed us!!   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::) 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)