Author Topic: 1841/1851 census look up please  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841/1851 census look up please
« on: Wednesday 30 March 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
I am usually to be found on the West Riding on Yorkshire board but I should appreciate a look up in the 1841 and 1851 census for the following family as I believe they moved from Yorkshire to Cheshire.

George Greenhough married Harriet Hoyle on 6 Feb 1815 at Cawthorne, WRY and I have found baptisms for the following children at the Wesleyan Chapel in Cawthorne:

Harriet, 14 Jan 1816
John, 21 Sep 1817
Sarah, 22 Feb 1824
George, 9 Jun 1830

It is possible the son John emigrated to the USA. If he is the same person then he had a son George (born 1843/4) and a son Robert (born 1845/6) but I cannot find baptisms for these children or a marriage for John.

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can see a George Greenhough and family in the 1841 census in Werneth, Stockport, Cheshire -

George Greenhough age 45 - Labourer
Hannah - Wife? age 50
Harriet age 25 - Cotton Weaver
Hannah age 15 - Ditto
Sarah age 15 - Ditto
George age 11

All not born in county.

I will look at 1851 later to see what I can find

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Had a look in the 1851 census  but can't immediately see any of the family - Did any of them die or get married between 1841 and 1851?

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Alan.

The son John is not with the family in 1841 and as to whether any of them married or died; the simply answer is I don't know.

There is the possibility that John went to the USA but, again, I don't know if the rest of the family also emigrated.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
A lady in America has just emailed this to me:

Arriving New York 19 October 1842, sailing from Liverpool, England on board the Independence:

Geo. Greenough, age 47
Anna Greenough, age 50
Harriett Greenough, age 27
Hannah Greenough, age 20
Sarah Greenough, age 18
George Greenhough, age 10(?) (or 12)
All born England

I am, however, now puzzled. It was the son, John, that I originally thought went to the USA but he is not with the family  ???

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just pursuing the possibility that John stayed in England whilst the others emigrated to USA. Whereabouts is Cawthorne?Google maps shows me one at Morley, Leeds (LS27) and one in North Yorkshire.

Assuming it is the one near Morley, in 1841 Ancestry has a John Greenhough married to Martha with 3 children Mary (4) , Ann (2) and Joseph (5 mths) in a district Tong which the district description  says it is part of Morley.

In 1851 they are at Gomersal with 2 more children Matthew Carr (3) and Edward (5 months) - census says John was born Birstal - not knowing the districts or locations does this make any sense to you?

Alan

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Alan

Cawthorne is near Barnsley so I do no think the one near Leeds is him.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=428500&y=407500&z=120&sv=cawthorne&st=3&tl=Map+of+Cawthorne,+Barnsley+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

I thought I had found John in the 1880 census in the USA. The lady in America unearthed the passage of all the family you found in 1841 so I am now in the position where the chap I thought was in the USA didn't travel with his family and the family I thought were in England are in the USA!

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't really know what to do next.

As John wasn't with the family in 1841, my only other thought (I can't see him in the 1841 census at all) is that he may have died.

There are no suitable deaths on Free BMD linked to the Cawthorne or Barnsley area (there are two in Bradford in 1838/9 and one in Manchester in 1840), and I am a loss as to what else to suggest.

Alan

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look, Alan.

My only other thought is that John, being the eldest son, went to the USA ahead of the rest of the family but this is, of course, pure conjecture.