Author Topic: Age of marriage..  (Read 1471 times)

Offline papercutter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Age of marriage..
« on: Wednesday 30 March 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into my Grandfathers family and have been trying to find his Marriage details.The only marriage I found with my limited knowledge was a marriage which I am fairly certain is his....but the date he was married is 1918 but he was born in 1903...could this be possible that they let them marry this young :o My Grandmother ran off before I was born and I always remember everyone saying they were too young.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Age of marriage..
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
Under the 1823 Marriage Act the ages at which a couple could undergo a valid marriage, even without parental consent, was 14 for boys and 12 for girls.
The 1929 Age of Marriage Act made all marriages void from 10 May 1929, if either partner was under the age of 16. The legal age for marriage remained at 14 for boys and 12 for girls in the Republic of Ireland, until 1st January 1975, when it was raised to 16.
Marriages of minors without consent after banns were valid, unless the banns had been forbidden by parents or guardians openly and publicly in church at the time of publication.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline papercutter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Age of marriage..
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan for the explanation.Much appreciated  ;D