Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38599 times)

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Did the Mackey's move house.In North William Street My Great grand mother Frances O'Keeffe lived in 24 North William St. Frances died around 1922. Her daughter moved out some time later. There was a family of Mackey living in number 25 north william St. There was eight of them. Is it the one and the same family.?

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello jtknox1 and thank you for the correction on your grand uncle, Laurence, at least they spelt his name right !
Would I be right in thinking then that Laurence was in "C" Co, 2nd Batt. Dublin Brigade , the same as your grandfather, Michael ?
I would be very interested to know more of your grandfathers involvement in the attack on the L.N.W.R. Hotel
My family lived in Commons Street , North William Street, ( that was my great uncle, Patrick Duffy), Tighes Cottages, Guild Street, ( that was my grandfather, Michael Duffy )

CSM

Offline 251 richmond road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 February 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi caplestreetman,
about your list of E co. 2nd batt,who were also members of St laurence O'Tool G.A.A club. You have a Patrick j Wheatley on it, I just wondered if it was possibly Thomas Patrick Wheatley, though my Wheatley was suposed to be  D co. 2nd batt, its just that Wheatley is not a common name, having said that I only think he is D co. from a commemorative booklet from 1966 by the pupils of St Josephs school.
Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello 251 richmond road, you are quite right, I have corrected the name to Patrick J. Weafer, the Thomas Wheatley you refer to was indeed a member of "D" Co. 2nd Batt, there is a nice right up about him in the book, thanks for pointing that out.

CSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi csm,
Would you know of a list of D co. 2nd batt, I started a post by that name, I wrote down everything I found thus far on Thomas, I fear I waffled on a bit, plus I put 2 pictures on that were unrelated, just to see if I could resize, which probably put people off.
So far I don't think I have come across anyone with family in D co. 2nd batt on other posts. If you have any info I would be grateful.
Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello 251 richmond street, as far as I am aware, there is no list, it is a case of checking through files, forums and books, have you made any enquiries at the National Archives, Bishop Street Dublin , or Cathal Brugha Barracks.
I found looking through the Witness Statements, a name would crop up who was a member of "E" Co 2nd Batt, and sometimes one of those names had made a W.S. and more names were mentioned and so on.

The W.S. should be on - line in March of this year if you do not live near Dublin, that would be a good option.

Do you know what area " D " Co. covered from what you have already found out about your relative.

Let me know how you progress, if I come across any "D" Co. men, I will pass them on.

CSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi csm, Im now living in Cavan, I will wait for the statements to come online, I'm afraid I don't know what area D co. covered, I only found out recently that he was with them. I've a lot of reading and research ahead of me.
Thankyou.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello 251 richmond road, go to page 1 of this topic for general information on Battalions and the areas they covered, it was usually in or near to where they lived.

There is a list of 2nd Battalion men who were involved in the 1916 Rising but not which Co. they were attached to in Appendix V of Dublin in Rebellion by Joseph E.A. Connell jnr, its an interesting book.

Check out the names on the list to see who made W.S. and then when they go on - line you can cross check to see which Co. they belonged to, its good old fashioned research, I have been at this for about eight years and I am still looking and researching.

Good Luck

CSM

Offline DF3121

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi. This is my first time on this site. I wanted to look for information about my grandfather Phillip Flynn and I came across a lot of your previous posts which seem to agree with what I have been told by my Father. I wonder if you could advise me on the best place to start to discover more about him. I know he died from food poisoning on Christmas day after travelling back from England. Fish and chips in Liverpool St station was apparently the cause,so this may tally with your records. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.