Author Topic: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade  (Read 38590 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: members of "E"Co.2nd Battalion,Dublin Brigade
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 26 January 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »

Hello readers to this post, I am looking for any information on the following members of " E " Co. 2nd Batt

Thomas Ennis - I am trying to confirm if any of Toms brothers were members, John, Daniel, Patrick, Peter, Michael or James.

Tom Ennis was a friend of my grandfather and his commanding officer, and he mentions him on his pension application.

I know Tom was  highly regarded and respected by all sides of the conflict in the War of Independence and Civil War.

James Freyne
Peter Freyne

I know Peter was killed in the attack on the London & North Western Railway Hotel, North Wall, Dublin, 11th April, 1921, he was only 18 years old.

They are both mentioned as living at 24 Charleville Mall, Ballybough and enlisted in 1920 in the book - Mud Island, a History of Ballybough.

CSM

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 01 February 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if this is relevant but a Michael and Christopher Ennis of 49 Bessborough Avenue are listed as Frongoch Camp internees in an appendix to 'FRONGOCH . University of Revolution' by Sean O'Mahony. Listed below them is Thomas Ennis, shown I think living off the NCR.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »

Hello JohnMB, I have the same book, I could not find any other reference to see if they were related to Tom Ennis

In the book - Mud Island, a History of Ballybough, there is no mention of Christopher or Michael Ennis, the address of Bessborough Avenue does not appear to come under the area of Ballybough, even though  the ordnance survey map shows Bessborough Avenue running off the North Strand Road.

Tom Ennis is mentioned in the book.

Perhaps a member can help to confirm if they were related or not.

CSM

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 01 February 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi CSm,

No doubt you seen Michael and Christopher's 1911 census return which shows them living at 49 Bessborough Avenue with their 60 year old mother Bridget, their sister Bridget and their brother, Edward, a Lithographic printer? Shockingly, Bridget Sr said she had 11 children of whom 4 only were alive. That would suggest that Tom Ennis wasn't a brother to Michael, Christopher, Edward or Bridget Ennis.

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I was told  an ancestor James (Michael) Masterson of Dublin was an active member of the IRA after serving in the army in WW1. He was said to have laid mines at the Four Courts. His sister Kathleen was also said to have been an IRA member and worked with Countess ? Have you heard of either of them?

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 14 February 13 08:30 GMT (UK) »

Hello wingood, I have not come across the name of Masterson, but will keep an eye out in my research files.

You will have to contact the Department of Defence, Pension Administration Section, Renmore, Galway to see if either of them made a pension application.

You will have to provide date of birth and the addresses they lived at in the 1920,s 30,s, 40, 50,s.

If they did, they would have had to provide references of what they were involved in and which Battalion they belonged to.

If you do write, please be patient as they are inundated with requests and it takes months for a reply, but it could be worthwhile in your research, please also remember, many people who participated in this period did not apply for a pension because they were proud.

I wish you well in your research and let us know if you have any progress

CSM

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 14 February 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CSM. I look forward to hearing anything you find. (By coincidence with your name, my ancestors, including Jimmy as a child, lived at 3 Capel Street in the 1800s) When I visited Dublin with my family sometime after the war, l was still very young, I was walking with a young Dublin cousin in the city when we saw “Uncle Jimmy” he was sweeping the street, old fawn raincoat, string tying his trousers round his knees, rope round his waist with his shovel tucked in, we were shocked with embarrassment. Then we saw two tall men coming the other way drop into step and salute Jimmy as they passed. We were stunned, as you see,  it is still a vivid memory. Thanks for your pension advice. I cannot imagine either applied. Jimmy was supposed to have turned down a commission in the Free State army. Wingood

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 18 February 13 16:31 GMT (UK) »

Hello wingood,

Came across the following in Who,s Who In The War of Independence and Civil War 1916 - 1923 by Padraic O,Farrell

Masterson, B ; Pro - treaty. Captain. Garrison Adjutant in Athlone.

Led raid by boat on Quaker Island in Lough Ree and, under fire, landed and captured ten Anti - treaty supporters

Two of the men captured were M.Davis and Thomas Walshe both  Anti - treaty leaders in Athlone area.

This action took place in the Civil War 1922 - 1923.

Not sure if this is one of your relations, let me know either way.

CSM

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi CSM.
No,  “Uncle Jimmy” was the only soldier in our family. Thank you for keeping me in mind. Wingood.