Author Topic: FAO board designer/webmaster  (Read 2965 times)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
FAO board designer/webmaster
« on: Thursday 10 June 04 13:35 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused as to why, after writing a long answer or adding an attachment, if i get a message to say "file too big or message too long - go back" when i do go back to adjust it,the text i wrote has gone and unretrievable  :(

i've now got into the habit to write onto word or notepad and then paste onto board so i dont loose it all.Is there any way to fix this?

Also discovered today that i cannot upload same named file twice - i wasnt expecting an error message for that, so lost all my text again.

not complaining, just confused  ???
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:FAO board designer/webmaster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 04 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi jaq,

Another way to get around losing your text is to post your message,  before adding your attachment,  and then go back to edit it.  I always preview my messages first,  so if there is a problem I can step back to the preview which does have your text in it.

Sorry,

Kazza.

Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 04 00:39 BST (UK) »
Another way to get around losing your text is to post your message,  before adding your attachment,  and then go back to edit it.  I always preview my messages first,  so if there is a problem I can step back to the preview which does have your text in it.
Kazza.

so preview wont steal my text then? will give me a message if something is not acceptable and give me chance to fix it? ah, ok, thanks for that Kazza..
 ::) something else i learnt today  ;D
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Online trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 04 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm the one to blame for your frustration on this one I'm afraid. A thousand apologies

All attachment have to have different names, in the same way as files in the same directory have to have different names in a folder in a computer.
It's possible for me to allow duplicate names, but it would slow the site down for everybody.

The maximum attachment size is 100 KB per message.  We've set it to this so that it doesn't cause a big slowdown for people that do not have broadband internet. It's best to compress images, and to check file sizes before posting.

As you can appreciate, the settings are for the best usability of RootsChat.com for users in general. Naturally, not all settings are ideal for all users I'm sorry. :(

If you highlight all your text, then click "copy" then if the message box is blanked after an error, then you can then simply "paste" it back in afterwards.

Have fun!
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 June 04 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi trystan and thanks for the explanation.
No apology required  :)
the setup here is great - very impressive, the email notifications make life so much better than having to keep checking back every so often possibly resulting in slow or lost replies and i can appreciate all the work you have put in to automate everything else too.
So.....well done on all that technical stuff which i wont even think about understanding  ???
and yes, i will continue to preview or cut / paste.
thanks again.
jaq

---