Author Topic: Visiting Wolverhampton Archives  (Read 4194 times)

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visiting Wolverhampton Archives
« on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am planning to take my mum to Wolverhampton Archives when I visit her in a couple of weeks time. What advice would people have given this would be the first visit to the archives and also what records are best to look at (that cannot be found on-line)?

Regards,

Mark
Bowles, Burgess, Chinn, Cooling/Cullen, Harrison, Jarvis/Jervis, Lawrence, Mitchell, Orme, Parsons, Sutton

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Wolverhampton Archives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Wolverhampton Archives have a good on-line catalogue: here - http://blackcountryhistory.org/

Difficult to suggest what you could look for without knowing what you have so far.. the printed indices to the 1841 census is very useful.

The staff are very helpful: there is a decent coffee machine in the Oak Room:  a nice garden if it's warm enough to sit outside with sandwiches.

Oh, and you'll need a CARN Card (though I think you can get a day ticket

Cati

PS there is NO access to ancestrylibrary
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Cati.

I have a subscription to Ancestry and FindMyPast and have seen the parish record transcripts that the Archives have put so was keen to find out what other records people have found interesting and useful

Mark
Bowles, Burgess, Chinn, Cooling/Cullen, Harrison, Jarvis/Jervis, Lawrence, Mitchell, Orme, Parsons, Sutton

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
There is a good collection of school records/school year books, and trade directories... also there are a vast number of photographs which do not yet appear in the online catalogue.

Oh - they're closed Mondays but last night opening on Wednesday. If you want a pub lunch, I would not recommend the pub next to the archive...

NB - see you have Burgess in your tree: is that Ann Burgess or her brother Benjamin by any chance?

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Cati. The on-line catalogue seems to be just pictures so do you know how far back the school records go?

I haven't come across Ann or Benjamin Burgess in my direct line back (George Burgess b1841), what dates were they?

Mark

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Ann Burgess born about 1823, Benjamin about 1831. No Georges that I've found so far...

The online catalogue does have quite a lot besides pictures - it's worth persevering with.

Wolverhampton Grammar School Registers start in 1515

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
The Archive did have a printed catalogue - last updated in 2003 - they may still have a copy for sale: mine cost me a pound.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
Parish records were useful and some of the cemetry burials on film. I've only been once since they moved by the wolves ground. I walked all round trying to find the entrance. Only one is used. I was given a potted history on the house by the bloke on reception, its quite interesting. I found the staff were helpful. If you have n't a carn ticket, make sure you take the relevant ID with you to get issued with one or if you have one check the expiry.  I was glad i realised before i went last time.

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cati, I am not aware of any ancestors who went to WGS but might be interesting to see if I have time. I'll have a look for a printed catalogue. I notice you mention Ecclestone in your list of names, do you have a Catherine b1830, daughter of Thomas and Susannah?

Thanks Weste, I don't have a CARN ticket so will take my ID with me. Do you know which cemetery burials they have and what dates as those sound very interesting.

Mark