Author Topic: A Shot in the Dark  (Read 5386 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
a couple questions about the Slater's directory ....

1) was the Slater's directory a sort of pre- telephone type directory for the city/town ?

2) would the listing of the two addresses be a home address and a business address ?

Slater's is a trade/street directory and like other's includes officials, prominent people and certain trades. There's are some other Cork directories searchable online - see the Cork resources section of RootsChat for links. The two addresses are probably business listings, but the family could have lived over one of these.

there's a possible connection on the 1901 census- another Massey household with one of the same trades as William B. - a bookseller named Nassau (mistranscribed as Nassan).

Massey household - 1901

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
found a listing in the alphabetical index of Guy's directory of 1884 of the Cork Past and Present website mentioned in the resources link.  W.B. and Nassau are mentioned with 5 address between them.

The directory probably has a trades or street listing included, but I haven't found this yet..

see : Massey  (pdf file - see page 2 of 3)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
there's a marriage for Nassau & Jane in the extracted collection on familysearch - might be useful to have in case he turns out to be a brother or other relation of William B.

Groom: Nassau Massey
 Bride:   Jane Peasley
 Marriage date:   26 Aug 1852
 Marriage place:   Cork
 groom's father  Samuel Massey
 bride's father: William Peasley

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jackjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
could actually be W.B. father

found Nassau Massey in Civil Registrations

Nassau Massey
 Cork
 DEATHS
 Apr - Jun 1912
Est. Birth Year: 1823
Age (at Death): 89

born about 1823 ... if my g'father was born 1878 and Nassau married in'52 , W.B. could have been born '52 - '58 or so , married in '76 ....... had g'father (and Helena Marie it seems) in '78
Brazil = Waterford
Massey = Cork / Ireland
Maher = Tipperary[?]
Black =(Ire/Scot)
Cook = (Ire/Scot)

so little information - so many questions

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
May have been more than one with that name- marriage bond for a Nassau Massey and Catherine Shea in 1815:
http://www.osheaclan.org/mlb.pdf

Obituary of Nassau Massey, bookseller, Cork.
http://sources.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=nassau+massey&type=AllFields&submit=FIND
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jackjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 March 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
found Julia O'Herlihy listed at 66 No. Main street in 1875-76 in a Cork City's Residents listing .  http://digdatgenealogy.com/cork75o.htm

This address comes up in the 1881 Slater's Directory listing for one of the addresses listed for W.B.  ... as referenced by shane in an earlier reply in this thread (reply #5)

curious if this was a residence above a type of shop (according to what I could find) , that address is a retail shop presently

Brazil = Waterford
Massey = Cork / Ireland
Maher = Tipperary[?]
Black =(Ire/Scot)
Cook = (Ire/Scot)

so little information - so many questions

Offline pdonovan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: A Shot in the Dark. 1872 photo of Massey bookshop in Oliver Plunkett St Cork
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I Recently came across a picture of Cork's South Mall showing the Imperial Hotel in 1872 on the NLI website. The picture can be magnified, so I decided to have a look down the side street called Pembroke Street. Thinking here was to see if I could identify the shops and thus positively date the picture using the information in Guy's street directory for 1875.

This I succeeded in doing. The shop visible here facing the end of Pembroke St was occupied by a bookseller named Nassau Massey. It's blurry but you can make out the words N Massey over the first floor window, and the sign on the downstairs retail shop (trust me) says  School + College Books.

He was gone from this premises by 1881, and the shop is now occupied by the Cobbler, a shoe repair and leather goods shop just diagonally across the road from the Cork GPO.

Here's the link to the NLI photo. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000339590
Lots of interesting things to be seen in the front view of the Imperial, also. Photography was in it's infancy and there are a dozen or so ghostly images of Imperial Hotel bystanders . Enjoy.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 08:02 BST (UK) »