Author Topic: "Alive with your Ancestors"  (Read 14445 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Alive with your Ancestors"
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 April 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
I remember hearing about that bandick. Mindblowing isn't it?  :o

Offline bandick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 April 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
I’m surprised you would have heard anything at all of it in Australia…

I have a sister lives only a few miles away on the same range of hills and very interested in keeping me up to date with another amazing incident in much the same area… a small village called ‘Bleadon’… archaeologists dug, numerous, possibly hundreds of skeletons from beneath the local village school prior to some development… they decided to reconstruct the scull from one of the graves… and in an effort to keep the whole village community involved and informed held an open evening to display the  finished bust. It was put out on a program called ‘Meet the ancestors’… by the BBC:

‘Bleadon Man’ is a skeleton of a 50 year-old man found during the building of new houses in Bleadon, Somerset, near Weston-super-Mare, in 1997. He had been 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 metres) tall and suffered from arthritis. The bones were carbon-dated to 100 BC, during the Iron Age, a finding supported by archaeological finds at the site. Testing of the mitochondrial DNA of  local residents’ blood samples showed that five of them are descended from Bleadon man’s family. After viewing the facial reconstruction of Bleadon man, local people surmised that Guy Gibbs might be a relative even before the DNA results were released.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
a small village called ‘Bleadon’… archaeologists dug, numerous, possibly hundreds of skeletons from beneath the local village school prior to some development… they decided to reconstruct the scull from one of the  Testing of the mitochondrial DNA of  local residents’ blood samples showed that five of them are descended from Bleadon man’s family. After viewing the facial reconstruction of Bleadon man, local people surmised that Guy Gibbs might be a relative even before the DNA results were released.

I remember watching that, the resemblance between the man and the reconstrustion was uncanny.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.concertina.com/history/index.htm

Is this link for me YT? ;D ;D ;D

What a fascinating thread, Wiggy. I have often wondered about what my ancestors were doing in terms of politics, wars etc. I don't seem to have a military background but I'm sure some of my Scottish family must have been affected by the Highland Clearances, Culloden and more.

I'm now looking through all my ancestors to see what was happening when they were alive. Another great way of avoiding the dreaded housework!! ;D ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline bandick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Angelfish… I remember when they took the towel from the bust, the whole room gasped… they all recognised him immediately… it truly was a memorable moment… 

And all that from a pile of crumbling bones…

Offline Kim1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
OK, sticking with the year my great grandparents were married:

1: 1913 - the year the zipper was invented
2: 1923 - the Walt Disney Company is established
3: 1890 - Vincent Van Gough dies
4: 1898 - Neon discovered

1565 is the furthest back I've got. That was the birth of my 13 x great grandfather, John Amor in Wiltshire. In that year, widowed Mary Queen of Scots was married. Also in that decade, Elizabeth 1 is queen, the great age of piracy in the Carribean begins and Shakespeare and Galileo are born!
Lavender (Ruislip, Mitcham), Abrehart (Edmonton, Mitcham), Smith (Edmonton, Enfield, Mitcham), Flook & Monks (Lambeth, Bristol), Radlett (Stepney, Southwark, Somerset), Bray (Rotherhithe), Chambers (Oaksey, Sapperton), Davis (Oaksey, Kemble)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in November 1936...during the short reign of Edward VIII.

Sadly nobody obtained an Edward VIII brass threepence to mark the occassion...worth about  £20,000- £30,000 today.  ;)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
This is one for PrueM and me:-

My Gr Grandfather was born 9th Jan, 1839 ... the same day the Daguerrotype photo process announced at French Academy of Science.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk