Author Topic: Hawick Poor House records  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawick Poor House records
« on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Wondering if the records exist for about 1871, 2 possible relatives died there but the informant from poorhose never named the parents, would they have needed proof of birth befoe being admitted?
Looking for William and Beatrice Scott, both supposedly born at Hobkirk
Thanks Colin

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick Poor House records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Proof of birth would not have been required in the way I think you mean. If they remained local, which looking at the earlier censuses, they look to have done, they would have have been known to the local parish committee (although obviously not their full history including parents' names).

Am I right in thinking that William and Beatrice were brother and sister and remained single?

If I have the right couple, they show with another brother and sister in previous censuses. You could try checking for death certs for other potential siblings to see what they say regarding their parents' names. The censuses I have been looking at:

1871:
Beatrice Scott, pauper, b. Hobkirk
William Scott, brother, pauper, b. Hobkirk
Address: Woodfoot, Kirktown

1861:
Helen Scott 71 b. Hobkirk
Bertie Scott 68, sister, b. Hobkirk
William Scott 62, brother, b. Hobkirk
Address: Stobs Woodfoot, Kirktown

1851:
Robert Scott 57 b. Hobkirk
William Scott 52 brother, b. Hobkirk
Helen Scott 62, visitor, housekeeper b. Hobkirk
Address: Birkwoodfoot, Kirktown

1841:
Robert Scott 45
William Scott 40
Helen Scott 50
Address: Birkwoodfoot, Kirktown

Not sure about Robert but certainly Helen lived past 1855 to be able to check her death cert.

Not sure if you have come across this site regarding the Hawick poorhouse www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Hawick/Hawick.shtml  There is a link on the page through to the Scottish Borders Archive & Local History Centre which you could also follow up with the see what records there may be.

Monica  :)

Added: There are some gaps on marriages for the 18thC which might cause a problem. This is the batch code for marriages for Hobkirk with corresponding years M117902 for 1726-1733/1808-1819 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
There are some further transcripts of the above censuses here www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=79402034

On the 1861 entry, Beattie Scott shows as widowed.

Monica

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hm! Robert bothers me as My Beatrice's brother Robert I have accounted for in census records.
I could only find one Beatrice born in Hobkirk OPRS on Scotland's People site as below from my notes
James Scott's children in Hardin Wauchope were baptised at the following dates:
Isabel was baptised December 29th 1788
Beatrice was baptised October 25th 1790
James was baptised April 15th 1792
Adam was baptised April 15th 1796
Robert was baptised 21st April 1800
These were inserted together as a batch in the register between 26 October 1800 and 12 December 1800
Adam's 1888 death confirms his parents as James Scott and Jean Scott
The entry in 1855 for all of Robert Scott and Mary Pagan's children give him a birth date of 25th March 1800 at Hobkirk, and his parents as James Scott and Jean Scott [Entered December 31st 1855 in the Parish of Urquhart, Inverness.]
Annoyingly no mother is given for any of the Scotts in Hobkirk I am interested in

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

The brother William seems to be the constant thread through the censuses between 1841-71. Might be an idea to see if you can find a death cert at least for Helen who shows in 1851 and 1861. Given the siblings show together, with any luck you may find that one of them reported her death and some confirmation through another source of possible parents' names.

Is Beatrice your line? Who did she marry? Any clues from her children's names that could help you?

There was another Beatrice b. in Hobkirk that I saw from general searches this morning who was born around the same time as yours also c.1790. From on line trees, she married a Peter Gray, parents given as Thomas and Margaret (Anderson). She shows on censuses up to 1861 from what I saw with her children.

Monica