Author Topic: Then and Now  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Then and Now
« on: Thursday 31 March 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
The object of this thread is to show an old postcard or photo of somewhere important to your ancestry and a shot of what it looks like now.It could be a building,a street or general view of somewhere.Include a brief description of why it's important to you.I'll start you off:-

This is Avonbridge,Scotland first around the turn of the 19th/20th century and then the same road today.Why is it important to me? Two of my great granparents lived and died here,my grandparents were married here and both my mother and myself were born here.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: THEN AND NOW
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Don't have a recent photo but would a googlemaps streetview link do?

Here is Dundonald Village, Co Down in Northern Ireland around 1900 when my gt gt grandfather was a shoemaker living and working in one of the terrace of whitewashed cottages in the right foreground.

For a modern view from the exact spot click on the link (village now swallowed by eastern suburbs of Belfast)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cjx/

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 11 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi akanex,one of mine worked in a similar row of cottages in Scotland,his were weavers cottages with big windows in the front so they could see to work the loom.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 11 00:55 BST (UK) »
Ooh that's a tricky one George!   Must go and look for some - but whether I have any recent is another thing!!!
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 11 01:23 BST (UK) »
Well you must go and photograph Wiggy,there is one I want to put up but must wait a few weeks till I am in the exact spot ;)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 11 01:44 BST (UK) »
This postcard probably shows the farm of gg grandpa, B. H. Chapman, overlooking the Fox River at Endeavor, Wisconsin.  He settled there in 1849.  The approximate location of the house can be seen on Google Earth at:  43° 43’ 25” N, 89° 28’ 28” W.  If I get up to Wisconsin, I'll get a photo.  The farm istill belongs to a Chapman descendant.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoras, interesting topic.  ;) Here is King Street in Chester as it is now, my 3xgt grandparents lived there in 1824 he was an Ostler and she a beerseller. The street is within the city walls and was originally named Barn Lane way back. I don't have a then pic, although on the Chester imagebank site there are photos of the restoration work that was carried out, including before & after image of a dilapidated cottage which just happens to be the ancestral home.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 April 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi liverbird,have scoured the internet,can find lots of old photos of Chester but not King St.I expect the width,cobbles abd alignment are pretty much as was,just the buildings spruced up.

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: Then and Now
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 April 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoras, yes everything pretty much the same, although there is a big difference to the cottages since the refurb, they are grade ll listed, very old.
I don't think I can post the image as I may get in trouble with copyright.  :-\

For anyone who may be interested the cottages are on Chester Image Bank~search images, search King St, ~there are 11 pages of thumbnails (click on to enlarge)~page 2 cnooo5 cottages before refurb, page 8 1b0501 is after.

Jean