Author Topic: Sutherland/Nuttall  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Abbreviation

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland/Nuttall
« on: Friday 01 April 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place or I haven't quite worked out how to do things myself yet!
I have hit a bit of a brick wall on my dad's side
I have Charles Nuttall date of birth 1841. On the 1871 census it looks like place of birth could be Haddington/Headington?? and it looks like Lincoln afterwards. Occupation stableman
His wife Christina date of birth 1828/9 is shown on the same census as Christopher! place of birth Scotland.
They are living with their son John date of birth 1867 Paddington. They are all living in Paddington.
On the 1881 census it then shows Charles' place of birth as Paddington, he is by then a shop porter, still living with Christina (now showing as Christie) and their son John.
John married in 1887 and by that time Charles had died (showing as deceased on marriage cert.)
I have Christina on 1891 census, widowed, still living in Paddington dob apprx 1831 and place of birth Invergordon.
Sorry to waffle on first post but I have been trying to find some earlier entries on census for Christina and maybe Charles as well seeing as his place of birth is unclear.
I have searched all free bmd for a marriage between them but can't find anything and bizarrely can find no death for Charles Nuttall or in fact any Nuttall that matches the correct age between 1881-1887.
I think I have found Christina's death in 1913. Haven't had much luck with 1901 census for her either.
So if any kind forum members can help with maybe a marriage for Charles and Christina, or to see if Charles appears on any of the census before 1871 possible in Scotland, or even to point this novice in the right direction I will be so grateful. 

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland/Nuttall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
I have Nuttalls in my tree, but no Charles nor any connestion with Scotland. Mine are from Staffordshire.

I suspect that the 1871 census entry actually reads "Paddington London"

Nuttall is a name that is prone to mis-spelling and mis-transcibing/indexing: I have variants Nuttal/Nutall/Nuttle/Nutel/Nuthall/Nutwell ( as well as Nuter...)

Have look at my wesite on my profile and see if any of my Nuttalls seem familiar.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat  :)

Nothing showing for Charles on the Scottish censuses up to 1861 unfortunately.

The closest I can see for him in 1861 which might fit with the adjusted entry for 1871 and the adding on of Lincoln to his entry is this one here for a Charles Nuttal, b. 1840 in Harmston, Lincolnshire ( RG9/ 2354/57/16).

Hard to be certain without being able to confirm his father's name from his marriage cert  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
If it is Paddington London for 1871, there is a Charles Nutley who shows as a cab proprietor (might fit with stableman in 1871) along with his father, born in Battersea c. 1839 (RG9/15/172/17).

Monica

Added: Can't be this Charles. He shows as married to Alice in 1871. Also, can't be the previous Charles mentioned from Lincolnshire as I think he also shows as married to Mary Ann and living in Yorkshire by 1871  :-\

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
By the sounds of it, you may have access to Ancestry for census details or are you accessing them through Findmypast?

There is an interesting entry for John William Nuttall in the London Parish Register for Births section. It looks to be from a ledger of the Fulham Union for the Poor from March 1899. John's statutory birth cert has been slapped over the text so can't read on. Just above on the ledger, toward the end of the first paragraph, it reads: That at the time the said John William Nuttall attained the age of sixteen years, his father the said Charles Nuttall had resided at...." Can't read any more after this as this is where John's birth cert has been placed on top  :-\ The date on the birth cert extract is from February 1899, so looks like a extract of his birth entry may have been requested by the Fulham Union.

Intruiging...

Monica

Offline Abbreviation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks all so much for helping me with my search. Monical that sounds very interesting about the Fulham union for the poor. I actually have a copy of John William's birth cert. DOB is 24th January 1867, address 57 woodchester (?) street Paddington. Father's occupation stableman, mother registered birth signed with her mark, gave her name as formerly Sutherland.
If only I could find the marriage for Charles and Christina, she was quite a bit older than him approx 12 years I think!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Two possibilities:

- they didn't marry although the birth cert implies that they were with the words 'formerly Sutherland' for Christina
- perhaps, given the age difference, Christina was previously married and she married under a different surname?

You may be right about that possible death for Christina in 1913. Have you tried finding her in 1911? I do not have access to the 1911 census, but I think she shows in Uxbridge where her death shows in 1913.

Monica

Offline Abbreviation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
I found a CN dob apprx 1835 Scotland in Hanwell asylum which could be her as the death entry I found for her was Hanwell asylum!
Her son John William Nuttall who married Eliza Ann Adnams in 1887 actually married in a register office, don't quite know why as all of their children afterwards were baptised Cof E . First child was shown as 1890 but maybe there may have been another beore then!
I have been checking all Charles Nuttall death entries and have found nothing which matches my infor so far!