Author Topic: James O'Kane Immigration time?  (Read 14920 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James O'Kane Immigration time?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 03 April 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
This is a possibility for Mary - Daughter of James O'Kane and Mary living in Lawton Ward 2, Comanche, Oklahoma in 1920

Mary Powers 50 Born about 1870 Kansas. Father Ireland and Mother New York. Widowed. No Occupation.
Above Mary Powers is:-

Mrs Alice McKay aged 33 years. Married. Born Kansas.
Mary aged 9 years and Margaret aged 7 years both born Oklahoma.

Widowed in 1910 living with daughter in Lawton, Comanche, Oklahoma

Mrs Alice McKay 23 Born Kansas. Marriage 1. Has 2 children. Housekeeper. Private House.
Mrs Mary Powers 40 Born Kansas. Had 2 children and 2 survive. Widowed. Father born Ireland and Mother New York. Cook. Private House.

In the next household is:-

Mrs Ruth Boggs Aged 22 years. Married. Has 0 children. Father born Ireland and Mother New York. House-Keeper. Private House.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 April 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
This could be George O'Kane with Uncle James Powers in Douglas Ward 6, Cochise, Arizona in 1920

James Powers 31 Head. Born Kansas. Fireman on Railroad. Uncle of George O'Kane
Susan Powers 29 Born georgia.
James Powers 2 years andd 8 months. Born Arizona
Susan Powers 1 year and 4 months. Born Arizona.
George O'Kane 27 Born Oklahoma. Father Ireland. Mother New York. Fireman. Railroad.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 April 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
George with wife living in El Paso, El Paso, Texas in 1930

George M Okane 36 Born Oklahoma. Father Ireland Mother New York. Engineer. Steam Railroad. Owns Home $6500.
Norene Okane 27 Born Missouri.

George and Norene appear in City Directories for El Paso. Texas. 1940 - 1945  1947 1948

Norene Okane
Born 5 September 1903 and Died 22 Dec 19999
Last Residence: 78702  Austin, Travis, Texas.
SSN issued: Arizona (Before 1951)

The El Paso Herald 18th July 1969 runs an article where 5 people were injured in a 2 vehicle auto-accident - those named included the daughter, 2 children aged 5 years and 3 years and Norene O'Kane aged 66 years.

George and Norene had a son 30th May 1930 - George McKnight O'Kane (now deceased) and a daughter 27 April 1940 El Paso  (Named after George's Mother) (The maiden name of Norene was Barker)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 03 April 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
George M. Okane. Born 30 th May 1930 and Died 4 th August 1996
Last Residence: 18929  Jamison, Bucks, Pennsylvania.
SSN issued: Texas (Before 1951)

George M O'Kane was  married 3 July 1854 and divorced 23 March 1977

Offline tuuthfairy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 08 October 12 06:13 BST (UK) »
James O'Kane was also my great great grandfather. He is listed in our family bible as being married to Mary Jane O'Reilly. My understanding is that one morning his mother entered his room and said, "wake up Jimmy you are going to America!". I don't know where he entered the country. For some reason I thought it was Boston. At any rate, he helped build the Erie Canal in NY. I am descended from his daughter Mary Powers. I know the family tragedy was very hush hushed and I was told that they were pretty certain Uncle Dan was responsible. It would make sense, especially if he bought the firearm a week before the incident. If you know of any information on his daughter Mary I would appreciate it. I can't find very much on her. My mother has the bible and when I see her next I can look to see if there are parents listed for James. My mother has a picture of the family (Daniel's with GGfather James) and one of Uncle Joe O'Kane in uniform

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 17 April 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
I know that my great, great grandfather was born near Coleraine (I guess in Macosquin) in the village of Glenhall.  Family states that he was born on Christmas day around 1841.  The year is figured because he was supposed to be 73 when he died in Oklahoma in 1916.  He traveled from NY to Kansas to Missouri and then settled in Oklahoma.  According to records, he was supposed to have immigrated from Ireland  in 1867 to NY.  I am not sure if that date is correct for when he first entered the U.S. and came over from Ireland.  Also, I am trying to find his exact birth date, parents' names (they were from Ireland too), and exact location of birth, and anything else I can learn.  Please, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.  I had heard by family that there was a fire that destroyed some records.  I don't know if other family kin of uncles and aunts had any other records or not.  All information is welcomed.
Thank you:)
I have posted some family tree info on the Derry thread which you might find helpful.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 17 April 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
I have posted some family tree info on the Derry thread which you might find helpful.

Here's the link for the Derry thread- same topic as the link given in reply #1
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=524287.msg5938104#msg5938104
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 30 April 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
O 'Kane of Glenhall-facts from our family tree.
1. John O'Kane of Glenhall is listed as a half brother to Bernard ( a farmer in Drumail, Aghadowey, Co Derry) and Denis.
2. Their father is Michael O'Kane and his father is John O'Kane .
3. Offspring of John O'Kane of [i]Glenhall a[/i]re listed as Frank, John and Michael ( who married a Teadly from Castleroe).
4. I found that a Michael Kane of Glenhall and a Mary Teadley had a son, Michael, baptised in St JohnS Parish on 11th January 1857.
5. I found a headstone in St Johns Coleraine for John O'Kane of Glenhall who died on 29th January 1863 aged 39 years and his wife Mary who died ... 1870.
6. This is perhaps Mary Dempsey.
7. Mary Kane's death cert states she died at Glenhall on 29th September 1870 aged 74 and that she was the widow of John O'Kane. Her son John was present at her death.
8. I believe that John's wife Bridget was the Bridget Kane in the 1901 census who died at Glenhall on 14th April 1908.
I hope this is helpful
[/quote]

On a closer inspection: Point 5 above-John's age on the haedstone could be 59 and not 39.
[/quote]

Offline fagivey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 01:50 BST (UK) »
Cooincidentally there is another O'Kane in Kansas who could possibly be related  (another that mentions Derry) - I will post the info on the off chance that they can be tied up to the same family  ???  - John O'Kane born June 24th, 1830 Derry and Died  Jul. 25, 1904 Kansas.
Burial:- Fidelity Cemetery. Nemaha County Kansas. Plot: Sec II Lot 85E. John was married to a Matilda McCarron. A couple of family tree entries mention this couple.
The father of John is also named John O'Kane born 1802 Derry and Mary Matilda Dempsey born 1806 Derry.

On a 1875 Census for Powhattan. Brown.  Kansas -  A Daniel O'Kane is living with John O'Kane and his wife and family.

John O'kane aged 46 years born Ireland  (farmer)  and Matilda aged 23 years born Ireland.
John O'Kane aged 3 years born Kansas. Mary aged 1 year born Kansas
Daniel O'Kane aged 32 years born Ireland.
Francis O'Kane aged 25 years born Ireland.

John and Matilda also have a son named Daniel in 1878. So the same names are used in this family  ???

Regards
Sandra