Author Topic: James O'Kane Immigration time?  (Read 14929 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James O'Kane Immigration time?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Cooincidentally there is another O'Kane in Kansas who could possibly be related  (another that mentions Derry) - I will post the info on the off chance that they can be tied up to the same family  ???  - John O'Kane born June 24th, 1830 Derry and Died  Jul. 25, 1904 Kansas.
Burial:- Fidelity Cemetery. Nemaha County Kansas. Plot: Sec II Lot 85E. John was married to a Matilda McCarron. A couple of family tree entries mention this couple.
The father of John is also named John O'Kane born 1802 Derry and Mary Matilda Dempsey born 1806 Derry.

On a 1875 Census for Powhattan. Brown.  Kansas -  A Daniel O'Kane is living with John O'Kane and his wife and family.

John O'kane aged 46 years born Ireland  (farmer)  and Matilda aged 23 years born Ireland.
John O'Kane aged 3 years born Kansas. Mary aged 1 year born Kansas
Daniel O'Kane aged 32 years born Ireland.
Francis O'Kane aged 25 years born Ireland.

John and Matilda also have a son named Daniel in 1878. So the same names are used in this family  ???

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
Actually, it is my error about the age at death - he was 73 years old, however, interesting to note that all U.S. census do not concur that exact age as birth year is estimated between 1841-1843.  Unfortunately, what I have been told by family is that there was a fire which took much of the family history.  I am not sure if other kin may have some.  I come from the Boggs/O'Kane side.  Yes, that side of the family was Catholic as I understand.  Also, I know of the burial area at Highland Cemetery.  I thank those who have responded and will respond  :)
O'Kane, James, b. abt 1841  d.1916

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Possible Marriage Record for Daniel O'Kane to Catherine Callhan 3rd May 1880 in Capiomo, Nemaha, Kansas - unfortunately does'nt list parents on this one either.

The couple together in 1885 Powhattan. Kansas.

Daniel Okane 46 Born Ireland. farmer
Cathern Okane 24 Born Missouri.
Mary W Okane 4 Born Kansas.
Marget E Okane 2 Born Kansas.
Danial Trimbol 17

It looks as if Katherine Callahan Aug. 17, 1862 Weston Platte County
Missouri, Died  Aug. 23, 1932 Kansas.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ckm/

And Daniel Died May 27, 1915 Kansas. However, the find a grave entry gives his birth as 1840 County Kerry son of Daniel & Johanna O'Kane.
Perhaps this is'nt the brother of James  ???

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ckn/

Regards
Sandra

Sandra, much thanks!  Yes, he did have a brother Daniel and even named one of his son's Daniel as well.  The date of the marriage in Powhatten would explain why James and his wife Mary Jean were living in the area about that time frame (according to census).  I have printed all census from 1870-1880, stopped and printed 1910.  I need to go back to the library and get the others.  Thank you so much for you help has been very beneficial to me.  If you think of more, feel free to respond.  My goal is to find out the names of James' parents so that I can search Ireland.

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Must be loads of Newspaper reports on the deaths of this family in 1916.

Daily Ardmoreite published at Ardmore, Carter County, Oklahoma. Tuesday, March 7, 1916 has a short report according to the link below.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/print.cgi?ok::22330.html

Regards
Sandra

You would think but I have only Googled this one that you list and NY Times; otherwise, it seems hush-hush.  Likewise, I found some information about the inquest that would make people now-days want to hire a detective - many holes and some lost logic.  Anyway, if you find more on that "story" let me know.  Thanks again, Sandra. :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Irish Heart,

Can look up the Census for you if you wish - just say which ones.

Maybe the 1802 John and 1806 Matilda Dempsey may be worth a stab in Ireland  ???

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Have you found him on the 1900 census?
My apologies on the age - yes, I have been to that cemetery.  I know that the US census doesn't have the same birth listed from 1870-1880.  I hadn't pulled up 1900 just 1910 because I was pressed for time at the library.  I will do that next week.  Also, he married in the States.  I figured that he married in NY because that is where his wife, Mary Jean is from.  Thank you for your time and help.

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Possible Marriage Record for James O'Kane to Mary J Riley in Nemaha, Kansas on 24th Jan 1868 - unfortunately does'nt list the parents on that entry.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ckk/

Daniel O'Kane living with him on the 1870 Census - possible brother ? 

Rock Creek, Nemaha, Kansas.

James Okane 26 Born Ireland. Farmer.
Mary Okane 16 Born New York
Mary Okane 1 Born Kansas
Daniel Okane 28 Born Ireland. Farm Labourer.

1880 in Kansas City, Jackson, Missouri.

James Okane 38 Born Ireland. Keeping Saloon.
Mary J. Okane 27 Born Kansas
Mary Okane 11 Born Kansas
Maggie Okane 9 Born Kansas
Daniel Okane 6 Born Kansas
James Okane 4 Born Kansas
Polly Monroe 22 Born Kansas. Sister-in-law. Widowed.
Mary J. Monroe 2 Born Kansas.

May J Kane/Riley Born Apil. 30, 1853 Rondout. Ulster County. New York.
Death:  Oct. 22, 1922 Oklahoma.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ckl/

The site below would have some earlier passenger lists.

http://castlegarden.org/

Regards
Sandra

Oh, my Word!  Yes, that is Mary Jean's maiden last name "Riley".  Her parents were from Ireland and Mary was born in NY.  I assumed that her and James married in NY not Kansas.  Although, they did live in Kansas and began the family tree there - SMILE:)  You are so helpful!!!!!

Offline Irish Heart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it may be worth contacting the contributor of the find a grave entry for Daniel - since they seem to have the next generation back.  Cooincidentially the first 2 children born for both James and Daniel are Mary and Maggie/Margaret. Both married in Nemaha, Kansas.
The reference on the 1910 Census for Immigration in 1867 is followed by NA which means Naturalized - is this what you thought said NY (New York) ?

Regards
Sandra

I assumed NY because my Great Great Grandmother, Mary Jean (whom he married) was born there.  I took it for granite that they probably met there since the immigration is 1867 and his marriage to her is 1868.  If he is naturalized, does that mean that I can get records from US Immigration/Naturalization that may list parents' names??

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
Mary J O'Kane in 1920 Lawton Ward 2, Comanche, Oklahoma

Martin Grab 54 Born Germany. Baker. Invalid.
Margaret E Grab 48 Born Kansas.
Garnet M Grab 16 Born Oklahoma
Martin J Grab 15 Born Oklahoma
Frances A Grab 4 years 11 months. Bprn Oklahoma
Roy Leo Boggs  4 months. Born Connecticut. This entry is so over-written - can't read the relationship
Ruth Alise Boggs 31 Born Kansas. This entry is over-written cannot read the relationship.
Doris Marie Boggs 9 Niece by marriage. Born Oklahoma
Sadie May Boggs 6 Niece by marriage. Born Oklahoma.
Mary J O Kane 65 Born New York. Widowed.

Have'nt come across a Naturalization record for James - some of the early ones don't give very much information.

Regards
Sandra