Author Topic: Marriage of Elizabeth HEARNEY & Joseph GARNETT Ennis abt 1820  (Read 3008 times)

Offline themagusman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Elizabeth HEARNEY & Joseph GARNETT Ennis abt 1820
« on: Friday 01 April 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
My 2 x Great-grandfather Joseph Garnett was originally from Morley in Yorkshire. At some point he travelled to Ireland. (perhaps to the garrison in Ennis?) He apparently married Elizabeth Hearney in Ennis around 1820. Their first child Joseph was born about 1821 in Ennis. The family then travelled to England, back to Joseph's birthplace in Morley, before the birth of their second child Mary, my Great-grandmother.
Any information at all anyone could give me about the marriage, or Joseph Jr's birth, or about the Hearney family of Ennis would be really helpful.
Thanks
John Measures
Ontario Canada 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Elizabeth HEARNEY & Joseph GARNETT Ennis abt 1820
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention the religion for Joseph and Elizabeth's families ...

RC Baptism records for Ennis (parish of Drumcliff) only go back to 1841 and marriages back to 1839. Transcripts of RC parish records for Ennis, are available online at : http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

for other details on the county see the topic : Clare Resources & Links

also see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline themagusman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Elizabeth HEARNEY & Joseph GARNETT Ennis abt 1820
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I somehow stumbled upon a record which helped (Google is a wonderful thing!)

It turns out Elizabeth's name was KEARNEY not Hearney. She married Joseph in 1817 at St Munchin's in Limerick & Joseph was also christened there. Their second child Mary was baptised at Wesleyan Methodist Church in Morley. There seems to have been a fair amount of religious freedom at play!!

Thanks again
John