Author Topic: Another McNab burial Dalbeth cemetery  (Read 6839 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Another McNab burial Dalbeth cemetery
« on: Saturday 02 April 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Hugh McNab was married twice.  Just discovered 1st Wife, Ann McNab (Mooney) was buried 18 Feb. 1872, St. Peters Cemetery, Glasgow, lair number 109 / 8 / E... and also 2nd wife Mary McNab (Martin) buried, 19 May 1919 in same grave.  On both CPR records their relationship to owner of lair is "wife".  So the lair was specifically owned by Hugh.

I am failing to find burial for himself...Hugh McNab -  died 3 March 1884, said to be accidental drowning in Greenock Harbour.  Have his death entry including the RCE - (Procurator Fiscals report etc).    I presumed CPR records would have him buried somewhere, ? Greenock... but no ....   Anyone got any ideas?  Seems strange for him not to have been buried in the "wives" lair?  Could he be buried there, but some records could be missing?

If i can find Hugh's burial it just may give leads to other missing family burials.
Cheers

Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Another McNab burial Dalbeth cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggs,

Where did you find the burial information on his wives? The cemetery records for St Peter's are online on Scotlandspeople, there is also a microfilm of them in the Mitchell library in Glasgow, or the originals are at the Scottish Catholic Archive's in Edinburgh. As you have the date of his death its should be easy enough for them he St Peter records to be checked.
Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
Thanks very much for the response.

I got the information about Hugh McNab's wives burials from SP's Catholic Parish Registers - "Deaths and burials" - presuming the records are complete?????

Hugh McNab was said to have died 3rd March 1884 in Greenock - though the circumstances of his "accidental drowning" were never known - we don't think he would have had any connection with the Greenock area - lived in Parkhead area Glasgow.  Have checked the SP CPR records, but not finding him at all - so ?? could there be some St Peters Dalbeth records missing? or is he buried elsewhere?  Do the Scottish Catholic ARchive records held in Edinburgh definitely include all St. Peters Cemetery - more complete than SP's CPR records?

Some day I would love to have a Family Tree specific holiday back in SCotland - but it's a fair trek from Australia - don't think my purse strings will ever stretch that far...  Is it worth contacting the Edinburgh archives or Mitchell Library via email?  Costly?
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant on the death record?

What was Hugh's occupation?

Is it possible that it is for a different Hugh McNab?

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 11 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti,

The informant was his wife Mary McNab (ms Martin).  On death entry he was "Furnaceman - married to Mary Martin". his parents Francis McNab and Mary Mcnab (McCue)... which is all absolutely correct - it is definitely our ggrandfather Hugh - found in the Harbour at Greenock....  My interest is as to where he would have been buried -??

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Maggs,

The burial registers for St Peter's and Dalbeth are complete and online at Scotlandspeople. So if Hugh was buried with his wives then it should be there, However that's not to say that there couldn't be a transcription error. I would send an email to the archivist at The Scottish Catholic Archives and ask them to look at the registers for around the date of death, list the lair number in your email and see if he appears. The email address is -
archivists@scottishcatholicarchives.org.uk

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
thanks very much for this information and advice - will definitely email the Archivists and see if they can find our Hugh for us.  I have tried various spellings for him, but still unsuccessful, so maybe as you say, with the info re wives and lair number they may be able to do something.

Cheers
Maggs

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
Again Gerry,

Thanks for your suggestion, I emailed the Catholic Archives, and was astounded to receive a reply back within not even two hours!

They have given me a full list of who is buried in the grave with the two wives, - not my great grandfather Hugh, unfortunately, but we now know of 4 children stillborn or died in infancy, and four "in-laws" buried there!  So a very fruitful outcome!

Catholic Archives say they only have records for Dalbeth, and he is definitely not on their records. I understood that the CPR info on SC. People were Scotland wide?  So maybe he was buried in a non Catholic cemetery ?? Greenock, where he was drowned??  the search for him continues.
Cheers again!!

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
It is strange that he was not buried in the lair as it was not full when he died

Could he be with his parents?