Author Topic: Anything like Electoral Rolls etc in Canada?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anything like Electoral Rolls etc in Canada?
« on: Sunday 03 April 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
My cousin and I are researching a book on our grandfather, Lionel Alfred Wharrad, an engineer and inventor.  We have traced three transaltlantic trips for him.

He arrived in Montreal on 2 July 1910 with his wife Caroline.  It was their intention to start a new life and send for their two small daughters once they were settled. Their destination on the ships manifest was given as Toronto.  He had been appointed a manager of the Fisher Electrical Company.  At some point he went on to work on the Houghton Line in Philadephia but whether they moved into the US I can't be sure however on 1 June 1910 he crossed the border from the US into Canada at Buffalo (presumably Niagara?) and they arrived back in the UK on 29 July 1911 from Montreal.  Whilst away Caroline had set up a millinery business, employing people and importing ostrich feathers for her work.  They apparently left because of her bad health and decided to return to the UK.

He returned to Canada and the States twice more, once in 1914 and again in 1921.  I think both of these were in connection with patent applications he had filed in both countries, there were plenty of unapproved patents in the pipe-line on both occasions and one related to racing ice-skate blades - something probably more suitable to that region than to the UK. Neither trip was longer than four weeks and he apparently spent time in the States - he watched a big fight in New York at some point.  However he did go to Canada on both occasions too, I have information on one of his patents that the paperwork was telegraphed from the Queens Hotel Montreal in 1914.

The information I would now love to find is:

Am I likely to find them on any records during the year they lived in Canada?  They may have missed the 1911 census as it was on the night of 1 June.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Fisher Electrical Co and where it was located

They were there for over 12 months - would there be aby official immigration paperwork around, either for Canada or the States?

Where was the Houghton Line being published in around 1911.

Does anyone know anything about the Queens Hotel Montreal?

Thanks for any input anyone can give us.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anything like Electoral Rolls etc in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
If someone stayed in Montreal for a year or two they may appear in Lovell's Montreal Directory, which is almost like an annual census for adults. I have found it very useful. The Directory is on-line. You can find it if you put it in a search engine. You will also find a link to it if you search for it in Rootschat.

Graham.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 02:01 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to a picture with a little bit of information about the Queen's Hotel in Montreal:
http://www.imtl.org/montreal/building/Hotel-Queens.php

There would be no immigration paperwork for Lionel in Canada other than the passenger lists. At that time, citizens of Canada carried British citizenship therefore someone arriving from the UK was already a citizen.

Also at that time the border was pretty easy to cross between the US and Canada so again not very much paperwork there.

There are a couple of border crossing for Lionel crossing into the US at Buffalo on 1 Jun 1911 and at Port Huron, Michigan on 17 Jul 1914. Neither give much information.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
Questions regarding the same subject can all be asked within one thread, to avoid duplication of time & resources...
Other posting on Canada board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,462014.0.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Here's a picture of the Queen's Hotel, with a little history...

http://www.imtl.org/montreal/building/Hotel-Queens.php

Offline Soooziq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Lionel and Carrie Wharrad are my Great-Grandparents. They left my grandmother Jessie and her sister in England when they went to Canada. The girls stayed with Great-Aunt Gertie in Studley. I'm trying to find out about the time that this family lived at Broad Oak in Studley. My mum, Jessie's daughter, remembers the big old house. I know it was demolished to make way for the Woodrow estate, Redditch New Town. Dr Dow lived there after the Wharrads . Any pictures or information gratefully received.