Author Topic: TREANOR surname - Goulburn, NSW and Tasmania  (Read 11763 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: TREANOR surname - Goulburn, NSW and Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've come across this website which mentions a William Joseph Treanor Jones marrying a Kate BYRNE in Goulburn; they had a child in 1884. The person posting on the website is also looking for information about the family.

http://www.gundaroo.info/genealogy/genealog.htm The info is about 1/3 down the page.

I'll PM you the actual contact.

There are a few discrepancies re convicts Treanor/Traynor icluding one who came on the Minerva but earlier than you have listed. The one who came earlier was apparently convicted in Carrickfergus - happy to post if you would like it.

Judith

I've found a William JONES on the NSW Electoral Roll for Goulburn in 1878 ...  He was a householder in Sloane St Goulburn,; There are several with the surname BYRNE  .... as under :

John, freeholder in Auburn St;  John, householder in Cowper St; James, residence in Cowper St; John a freeholder in Addison St; John a householder in Montegue St; Thos H, a householder at Gundary; and James a householder at Auburn St

Hope this helps with Kate BYRNE
Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 April 11 06:57 BST (UK) »
 I have a copy of the letter you are looking for.  Its not poignant at all.  Its very funny I reckon.  He got told his brother was a chief constable.  He wasn't.  He was the opposite.    I also have my family in the UK and Ireland but found them seperate to the letter from some of the myriad of stuff my dad told me when he could do it without my mum hearing.  There is also other content online.  There is also a good amount of local content.  Remember when you had the penfriend in Africa.  I also had a penfriend at the same time that I selected out of the Sunday papers because of where they lived which is where my great gran also lived and that I chose that penfriend was at my Dad's suggestion.  Its an amazing world.   

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 April 11 07:05 BST (UK) »
I have to say too that the genetics have come through via anyone with snow white hair but not the drukenness of his aunt that John Treanor Jones wasn't impressed by in the least.  In Irish mythology the stories are only handed down to the one who is unmistakedly of that ancient fenian line that my dad's family came from hence the >>>>>>>>  Johneen Jones (his namesake)

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
It took me a while to find it.  Its written as my copy is written.

"Dear Brother,

I once more lift my peninhopes of hearing from my parents.  Ihave wrote several letters home but never had the satisfaction of receiving one from home.  I wrote to my father's place. ...  I never could recieve the slitest account that they have moved.  I am informed lately where ------- ------ is living and that he had been home to England. ..."

I put fenian family above.  I meant ancient fianna family.  That fawn I had that my dad got Aunty Edie to track down for me is part of that legendery irish white hair stuff which is why I had that when tiny.  Dad said when that mysteriously disappeared "Oh well, she will never forget she had it".  The weird thing is Alice's ancestry was the clan that joined in with my Dad's re mtDNA 1700 years ago.

Slan

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 May 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
There is on this page under the 'majm' rootschat log on name, an avatar showing the 1806 Bowman Flag of NSW.

That is a coincidence as that same Mr Bowman was once the Master of  John Treanor Jones (i.e. JTJ was his slave), and it must have all become too much as JTJ fled from Mr Bowman's clearing party.  Given what those clearing parties did its little wonder JTJ did flee but its was aslo opportune given the Bowman history.   :o

Why anyone would think any fenian should have a "Master' is beyond me but that was part of the lunacy surrounding the invasion of Australia by the UK whereas these days the convicts are given more respect via the Memory of the World project.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 May 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
There is on this page under the 'majm' rootschat log on name, an avatar showing the 1806 Bowman Flag of NSW.

That is a coincidence as that same Mr Bowman was once the Master of  John Treanor Jones (i.e. JTJ was his slave), and it must have all become too much as JTJ fled from Mr Bowman's clearing party.  Given what those clearing parties did its little wonder JTJ did flee but its was aslo opportune given the Bowman history.   :o

Why anyone would think any fenian should have a "Master' is beyond me but that was part of the lunacy surrounding the invasion of Australia by the UK whereas these days the convicts are given more respect via the Memory of the World project.

Are you anticipating an explanation from me as to why I use that Avatar ....  

You will notice that the Emu and the Kangaroo are represented there.   You will notice that the Coat of Arms for the Commonwealth of Australia also has representations of the Emu and the Kangaroo.    Of course you will appreciate that the Australia Act of 1986 addressed the final separation of power from Britain and thus that Australia finally became a Nation at that time. 

It is not my intention to inflame or incite any comments as to the flag, if you find it offensive, please feel free to report this post to the Moderator, and allow RChat to determine any action.   

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 May 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
JM, how would the Bowman Flag (avatar) be offensive?  I was commenting on the coincidence that the Bowman flag avatar was about the same Bowman's that John Treanor Jones was assigned to.  I was interested enough in your avatar to google the Bowman Flag and it was then I realised that the Bowman connected to that flag was the same Bowman that JTJ cleared out from.  My post was about that coincidence and the fact that JTJ did abscond.  Interestingly the letter written by JTJ that this forum is about notes within it that JTJ had done nothing wrong since arriving in the colony so right and wrong are very relative.  JTJ obviously considered his clearing out from his 'Master' was right.  The Emu and Kangaroo used in Australian flags are Australian Aboriginal cultural icons and have tangible representations at particular highly significant Australian heritage places, so that those Ancestors then became symbolism preserved on flags while the locations of their terrestrial location was obscured tells another story.

Offline lea_18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have read this with interest...

I have a Thomas JONES  and a Rosina CURTIS in my family. Their daughter Rosina JONES born Burrowa NSW married William TOPHAM Goulburn NSW. According to her death transcript her father Thomas was a farmer. Is this the same Thomas JONES and Rosina CURTIS? as I noticed that Aurora had Rosina CURTIS marrying a John T JONES.

At this stage I have no death for Rosina CURTIS nor a first or 2nd marriage and certainly no other children to the couple yet. I have only just started on this line of family.

cheers
Lea
Mills, Nock, Rixon, Hyde, Plunkett ,Speechley, Rae, McGarry, Alexander, Fitzgerald, Ross , Anderson, Steven, Wilson Flowers

Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Derbyshire,  Dorset, Hamilton ,Ross & Cromarty, Rutherglen, Gorbals, Limerick, Clare, Cork

Offline McCabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 August 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
In 1962, my 76 year old dad, John Thomas Jones, the very kind and gentle and very well regarded in the Gundagai community, grandson of John Treanor, was attacked for no valid reason by 42 year old Jack Goodsall and Goodsall's 15 year old son.  Goodsall was a drunken gambler.  My dad was punched and kicked and severely injured  hitting the right side of his head on our hardwood, wooden door step.  My dad refused medical help as he had a business and a 10 year old and 13 year old children.  My dad had a seizure in front of me at 6.30am on 27 June 1962, was taken to hospital and died early on 28th June 1962.  I'd been getting up when my dad did, knowing he was not well, and I used to light the open fire in the kitchen and make him tea and toast to have after he returned from lighting our cordial factory boiler.  I was my dad's "cobber' as he called me and I very, very close to him from birth.  H etook me to work with him daily till I started school and he had trained me up to make the drinks at his cordial factory after Peter Y embezzled the factory of a very large amount of money in 1960 and was sacked, and had given me the recipes.   When my dad went to hospital my mum was told by the local GP, Gerry Dalton, that my dad may have had a coronary occlusion.  The local paper that day said though he had had a stroke that my mum disputed to me when I bought the paper home.  The undertaker was not going to bury my dad as the GP refused to sign a death certificate.  Then the undertaker decided he would bury my dad after the local accountant, Cliff Butcher, rang him.  My dad was duely buried.  Jack Goodsall and his family were never held to account for the murder of my dad.  The 6 Goodsalls who lived next door to us were all involved in that murder.  The very jealous about everything my family did such as going to Sydney to see our aunts once a year, three girls came to the fence slinging off that my dad was 20 years older than my mum and that we were "filthy" because of that after they had been visited by a Smith relative.  My dad was actually 22 years older than my mum, not 20 years.  My sister and her best frioend, Sue B, and myself were outside eating slices of jelly and cream, sponge cake my mum had just cooked.  The friend of my sister said after the sling off about my parents "Never mind Marcia at least your mum didn't go having babies before she was married".  My sister said to her friend, "Lets go down to your place for a while", so off they went.  The mother of that disgusting violent Goodsall  family came to the fence after the three jealous girls ran in to tell her what my older sister's friend had said, wanting to know of me what was said - then her drunken gambling slob of a husband came to our front door with his son a couple of hours later, and attacked my dad.  The information about Rita Smith/Goodsall having had a child to someone before she was married, did not come from my home as my parents were not gossips.  I didn't know about it.  My sisters best friend was the daughter of one of Jack Goodsalls best friends, Bob B.  Bob B and Goodsall were Gundagai Shire Council employees.  So, my dad was buried.  Probate of his will had not been granted several months later so I sent my mum to the solicitors to demand that probate be granted.  My Mum came back with a copy of my dad's will.  Probate was granted after the accountant Cliff Butcher, signed the death certificate.  In 2010 I realised that the full probate papers were available and sent for a copy of them from NSW Records.  In those probate papers was the truth of my dad's murder and that he had died of a cerebral haemorrhage which fits exactly with the left hand side of his face having dropped as he sat in a chair before the ambulance arrived at my home.  This fits with the terrible injury to the RHS of my dad's temple suffered after 42 year old Jack Goodsall gave my 76 year old dad one last almighty punch that sent my dad into our front door step.  Jack Goodsall is now dead.  I inherited my childhood home so still live here.  It is where my dad wasd attacked and where I last saw him after he collapsed in front of me that morning.  The house is better than it used to be as I am always slowly renovating.  My family may have had a cordial factory but they were not 'rich' at all so our house was very basic and in need of a lot of work.  Its looking really good now inside but still more to do.  Johneen Treanor Jones (McCabe) - Gundagai