Author Topic: Gurney family , Lower Cumber  (Read 7061 times)

Offline sheliza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gurney family , Lower Cumber
« on: Monday 04 April 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have a John,Mary, William and Hugh Gurney born between 1807 and 1819 approx in Lower Cumber .Londonderry. According to IGI , their parents are Ford Gurney and Margaret Lewis. Could this be confirmed please as when researching Ford, he appears to be a ship's captain and his mother received his belongings when he died!
Maybe there were 2 Ford Gurneys. I don't know.I would appreciate any further information on Ford and any other members of the Gurney family before him.
I hope someone could clear this up for me please.

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gurney family , Lower Cumber
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org has the 3 children.....

Hugh Gurney Baptism Date: 01 May 1807 at Lower Cumber. Parents Ford Gurney and Margaret
Mary Gurney Baptism Date: 04 Apr 1814 at Lower Cumber. Parents Ford Gurney and Mary
John Gurney Baptism Date: 04 Apr 1814 at Lower Cumber. Parents Ford Gurney and Mary

Looks like Mary and John were twins and born to Mary and not Margeret as you thought?
Hugh was born 7 years earlier to a Margaret so possibly a seperate Ford Gurney as father?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
It could be that the orginal record is difficult to read and mother's name written as Margt which has been transcribed as Mary (or the earlier baptism actuallt says Mary and transcriber thought Margt= Margaret)- really need to check original church records (or microfilmed copy).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sheliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both of you for your help.
I was hoping to find out more about Ford Gurney and his parents. I don't know if there is any more info. from the parish records before his time.i would imagine he was born approx 1780.
I think all of the children were born to Mary. Often Margaret is shortened to Marg.

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 12 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both of you for your help.
I was hoping to find out more about Ford Gurney and his parents. I don't know if there is any more info. from the parish records before his time.i would imagine he was born approx 1780.
I think all of the children were born to Mary. Often Margaret is shortened to Marg.

Hello,

I have been trying to follow up  this same line, my connection is Hugh. Would you be prepared to share your research?

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline sheliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, Yes I would like to liaise with you re. the Gurney family. My connection is also with Hugh b.1807. The Irish records are notoriously difficult to research as you know so I cannot be 100% sure that my research is correct.
How do you want to compare? I have my family trees on Ancestry and Genes Reunited. Are you on them at all?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can see a Ford Gurney on an 1846 directory as a Saddle Maker on Catherine Street Londonderry - any connection do you think ?

Tara

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can see a Ford Gurney on an 1846 directory as a Saddle Maker on Catherine Street Londonderry - any connection do you think ?

Tara

Hi could be, the time frame would be right.

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
In an Ogilby rental for the town of Newtownlimavady [PRONI D2808/P/1] page 28

Ford Gurney [Lease 1st Jun 1804] Tenement in Newtowlimavady £13:13 year rent 31 years from Nov 1803 and lives of Robert, Thomas & Connolly Gurney, all sons of the lessee.

Thomas Gurney [lease 1 Nov 1810] Tenement in Newtownlimavady at £5 yearly rent - same terms and lives in the last lessee, to Ford Gurney. Delivered up to be cancelled by Conolly GUrney July 19th 1819.