Author Topic: Elizabeth Jones of Caernarvon  (Read 1901 times)

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Jones of Caernarvon
« on: Monday 04 April 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
I would greatly appreciate any help or advice in finding the birth of my G, grandmother, Elizabeth Jones.
Census returns reveal that she was born in Caernarvon in 1859/60.
Her marriage certificate tells us that her Father was William Jones, a Sailor.
She married one Joseph Phillips, an Earthenware Dealer from Shrewsbury, where the pair settled and raised a family. They were married in Salford on 31/07/1880, and she gives her age as 22, which doesn't agree with later census ages so it seems that she inflated her age. The witnesses give no clues.
She died in Shrewsbury in September 1947 aged 87. I have been told that she had a brother, who had two daughters named Enid and Eira.
My problem is that there were many girls of this name born in Caernarvon in those years, and buying birth certificates for them all in the hope of finding a Sailor father would be rather expensive. can anyone come up with a way of narrowing the field?

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jones of Caernarvon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
My problem is that there were many girls of this name born in Caernarvon in those years

You are so right!!

Here is a list of quite a few from the Caernarvon area around the time you seek extracted from Familysearch.org and most list the parents.......

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0clu/

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had a look for an Eira and an Enid living together. Found in 1901 Census, Llanberis:
Griffith Evan Jones, 49, School Master, born Carnarvon(shire), Bangor; Elizabeth, Wife, 29, Carnarvon, Llanfairisgaer; also born Llanfairisgaer, Mary EIRA, dau., 7, Jane May Jones, NIECE, 6, and ENID Jones, NIECE, 3. Also a servant, Margaret Roberts.
In 1861 Census there's an entry in Bangor:  William Jones and Wife absent; Marria Jones, dau. 12; Griffith Jones, son, 9 - both born Carnarvon, Bangor.
Could William Jones' absence be due to being at sea ? If Elizabeth's age has been inflated, perhaps William's wife was with a relative for the birth of Elizabeth.
Could this Griffith be Elizabeth's brother ?
Emyr

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, The Mc, for the link. Using it, I thought that I reduced the possible Elizabeth Joneses born in Caernarvon at the right time and with the right father to two; but then along came EmyrBorth.
I think, Emyr, that you have found the brother of my Elizabeth: Griffith Evan Jones. The aged aunt who told me many years ago of Eira and Enid also made mention of a school teacher and a connection with Llanberis or Nant Peris - she couldn't remember which. I couldn't find the birth of Griffith; it seems to be as popular a name as Elizabeth, but I found his marriage. Oddly, he married an Elizabeth Jones. I will now obtain his marriage certificate, which will give me his father's name and occupation.
I am, however, still slightly puzzled why Elizabeth always gave her birthplace as Caernarvon, and Griffith was born in Bangor. I suppose that the family could have moved.
Thank you, both The Mc and EmyrBorth, for your interest and help.
Al