Author Topic: i need help! please  (Read 4825 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: i need help! please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
A few more points to consider-
1) no guarantee that William Mooney was still alive in 1956 or that he even existed- it's not unknown for illegitimate children to give a made-up name for marriage certificate and if she was estranged from her family the same could apply

2) her birth (whether in Ireland or England) could have been registered as Philomena or Elizabeth (as in her marriage) or just 'female'

3) 'Irish accent' is no proof she was really born in Ireland- a cousin's N.Z.-born son apparently speaks with his mother's North Antrim accent (a fact which got him into great trouble in school until new Irish-born headmaster realised the boy wasn't mocking his own accent)

4) the 166 William Mooneys in 1911 Irish census was just to give you an idea of how common the name was- for all we know William Mooney could have been in England in 1911
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
First marriage :

Elizabeth P Mooney
Spouse: Harrison-Owen
Q2 1946
Chester Cheshire
8a

I don’t have the certificate for this one

both long shots... but all I can think of using BMD records...

If Philomena was not the only member of her family in England, and given her quite young age (c20) at the time of the first marriage - could other family members have lived in, or near, her residence at the time of her 1st marriage ?  I dont know how many Mooneys would have been in or near Chester at the time, but if the numbers are reasonable maybe another Mooney marriage could be found with the same father's name and occupation then you would have a possible sibling... 

Another option is to purchase certs for the possible birth cert matches for Philomena in Ireland around the right time (allowing for a possible inaccuracy in her age) and hope that one has a father William, and even better an occupation match. But as aghadowey mentioned earlier the index does not cover Northern Ireland for dates after 1922,, and she could have been registered as Elizabeth or even before a name was finalized... e.g. recorded as 'female'

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
just thought of another idea... check for a Marriage notice in the local newspapers for both the marriages. If there is one it might mention family or other details..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
just revisiting this to see if anyone else has any bright ideas as i am still stuck (thanks for your help previously it is appreciated)
I have the electoral roles now for when she was in Leicester 
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toni

Did you ever get her first marriage cert?? We had a situation where a woman got married in 1911 and her husband died in 1913, she remarried in 1919 but on this marriage cert she is down as a spinster, and her surname is that of her dead first husband, but also her father is given the surname of her dead first husband, so if this was the first point of contact with the family we'd have no reason to suspect that she had been married before and the her surname was different, so I'd get that first marriage cert to see if the info is different...

Was there ever any obituary for her that might mention where she came from?
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
No i didn't get the first marriage certificate, i didnt really want unneccessary expense and assumed her fathers details would be the same as the second certifcate. but i guessi must if i want to proceed with this line,
no obit.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive