Author Topic: i need help! please  (Read 4826 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: i need help! please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
trouble is she was estranged from the family
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 12:40 BST (UK) »

Not helping me find her birth but maybe a look up in the street directories might help locate arrival in Leicester and before that in Cheshire

First marriage :

Elizabeth P Mooney
Spouse: Harrison-Owen
Q2 1946
Chester Cheshire
8a

I don’t have the certificate for this one
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
If she arrived in England during or shortly after WWII there might not be directories published during that period.

Also, if she lodged with a family/lived in a few locations she might not appear in any published directories.

Not sure if the 1946 marriage certificate will give you any further details- you already know her father as William Mooney- but her residence is most likely to be an address where she was staying in England
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey

I am really stumped

I have looked for a death of William Mooney in Leicestershire that could possibly be her father (agewise) nothing positive but of course he could be a chemical works goods checker in Ireland or anywhere he could already be deceased when she married for as much as I know.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
There are 166 men named William Mooney in the 1911 Irish census so it's not exactly an uncommon name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
One problem with confirming a link to the correct William Mooney using a birth cert is that we have his occupation on the 1956 marriage cert, but he could have worked at something completely different at the time that Philomena was born some 30 years earlier.

I think one possible line of investigation would be to order the cert for the first marriage to obtain residences for bride and groom, occupations that might help in a trace, and also to see if there were any Mooney witnesses that might be a clue..

One details to be careful of - sometimes the family story can say that someone is Irish born, but the story turns out to be a generation out of step - i.e. it was their parents that were Irish born and children were born soon after they moved.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
166  :o  ::)

Although she was estranged from the family she did have an Irish accent (i met her the once and my partner can probably count on one hand how manytime he saw her) and there are not births to match in England - i don' t know if just she moved or the whole family did - i realise about the occupation and wonder if its worth locating chemical works in 1956 to see where they were but again because somebody works there doesnt mean they were born there.

there was talk of a Canadian service man but i don't know who he was somebodys father  - Mooney doesnt sound Canadian to me

Theoretically  Philomena should show on any records after 1927 any idea what these would be ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Theoretically  Philomena should show on any records after 1927 any idea what these would be ?

other than usual BMD certs, all I can think of would be electoral rolls, but I think you need to know with some degree of accuracy where she lived at the time to check these..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
strike that previous answer - the electoral roll idea is silly for a 1 year old!!

S.
My Surname Interests