Author Topic: "One of These Things is not Like the Other One"  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"One of These Things is not Like the Other One"
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
I am rather confused by the records for Henry Hignell on familysearch.org.  Both records agree on the date-19 July 1828, as well as the parents, Thomas and Sarah Hignell.  However, one record states that the Christening was done at Abbots Leigh, Somersetshire, ( Holy Trinity) whilst the second gives the place of Christening as 'Dursley, Gloucester". 

Which is correct?  I suppose my next step should be to do a google.co.uk search for churches in Dursley.  I already tried the Somerset OPC search, and there is no Holy Trinity Church in Abbots Leigh.

Suggestions are welcome.  I forgot to add that Henry Hignell is my GGG Grandfather.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: "One of These Things is not Like the Other One"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Holy Trinity : Church Road, Abbots Leigh, Bristol, BS8 3QT
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you--I was about to add that the other record said "Northwick,, not Dursley, but when you look at the Wales censuses, even the Hignells tended to give alternate places of birth. 

Many thanks for the heads up--It's hard to be doing this from a computer in Brooklyn, NY. 

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi Kiki
Wondered whether these snippets may be your family.

Noticed in Ancestry mention of Henry Hignell being found guilty on 2nd January 1849 at Gloucester of Stealing a Fixture and imprisoned for 3 Months.

Bristol Mercury Saturday 20 Feb 1864
From the London Gazette
Bankrupts
Thomas Henry Hignell, late of Carleon, Monmouthshire, Feb 29 at the Bristol Bankruptcy Court.

Bristol Mercury Friday 21 December 1888
Public Hall for Thornbury
Long Speech whcih included mention of the Wesleyan Chapel in Thornbury being set up a hundred years earlier. mention of a deed of 1789 - trustees included "Henry Hignell of Marland, Gentleman.

Bryan
(GLS)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just done a search on FamilySearch and the only one I get coming up is the Northwick one, which comes up twice. The first one is an extracted entry, which can usually be believed, and the second is on a form submitted by a member. This says he was aged 6 when he was baptised.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nameless

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
I saw 2 family entries on Familysearch which mentioned Abbots Leigh.  I've got a copy of a marriage from Bristol Register Office and it was at St Luke's Bedminster.  The other was a baptism and the parish record shows St James, Bristol.  I can't understand why Abbots Leigh was shown on Familysearch.  I emailed them but had no reply.