Author Topic: 1911 census Scotland?Where is it?Now found!  (Read 9580 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census Scotland?Where is it?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Well hooray for wi-fi on caravan sites, is what I say! ;D

I now have both my nan and my grandad, with their parents, plus some of their older siblings, including grandad's brother James, who was killed in WW1.

The quality isn't great, is it and it seems to want to jiggle around a lot when I'm trying to move the image up or down. But it's better than nothing and once I get home, I shall print them all so will have no further need of using their silly viewing thingy.

Jen  :)

PS - Scotland is very wet and windy tonight. My van is wobbling like the census screen did. ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
the wind's really getting up in our part Jen, sleep well and have a safe night.
Maggie1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline seamusolong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The 1911 Scottish census
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootsweb, Hello everyone, I did not know that Scotland Loved American Baseball , Because I was it threw me what ONLY described as a "CurveBall"I found My Greatgrandmother Maryann Hastings - Long living with the 3 children Living in Calton Glasgow , Great grandpop William John Long in Cumbanald Dumbartonshire Poorhouse .He was in Barnhill in 1908 All the Best seamus
Long Hastings Moreland  Cawley Gilmour  McLaughlin  Burns Gill Greenwood Burton Booth  Mcglyn McCauley Martin      Richardson Gunn Atkin Hunt James Dickson Jackson Mann Pardoe and last and least Lamb

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
Woo Hoo I found my great grandfather straight away, he was 16 and it was the last census he was on before he was killed in WW1. Strangely his brother was down as the head of household, don't know here their father was  ??? He didn't die until 1945, and the children were living alone aged 23 - 9.

I also found my gg uncle with his wife and daughter, as usual it only stated Ireland for her birth and not which county  :'(

Now need to find where the other three brothers and the father is. Very pleased so far.
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census for Scotland - Search Facilities
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
I have just started searching.
What a shame that you cannot search for somebody by where they were born. It would make it so much easier.

Inchworm, I find the whole search parameters/fields really basic compared to the E&W census available on various websites.  I'm spending not only a fair bit of money but a whole lot of time trawling through the results of my searches.  I spent yesterday at the SP Centre and it wasn't really any clearer there.  No guidance folders/info except for approaching the Supervisors.  Maybe others have had a different experience?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census Scotland?Where is it?Now found!
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
I love the Scotland's people site for BMD's, I wouldn't have got so far with my Scottish family without it however I've been very disappointed with not being able to narrow down my 1911 census searches  :(