Author Topic: gravestones  (Read 5950 times)

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
gravestones
« on: Wednesday 06 April 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
I collect photographs of gravestones and then transcribe all the details into a database so that they are searchable.  Many gravestones fall into disrepair, as can be seen in the photograph below, or are vandalised and the information on them is lost forever, I hope to save some of that information for future generations so I am doing as much as I can in my spare time.

If you have any photos of gravestones that you would like to share can you post them, I currently have over 6,000 - mostly in Buckinghamshire, but also the Isle of Wight and wherever we go on holiday you will find me in the local graveyards snapping away.  I hope this is of interest to you all.

;D
GOODALL (from the Wield, Hampshire), LOVE, HUGHES, PERRISS, AVERN, UDLE, HAWTHORNE, CRORIE, MCRORY, MCCATHIE, LAUDER (plus THOMAS and HARTLEY in Isle of Wight)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
An excellent and worthwhile project.  We have something similar going on the Lancashire board although we are just concentrating on the one cemetery and our transcriptions are going to be donated to Manchester Archives.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,481713.0.html

http://mgctp.moonfruit.com/

Luzzu  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Wharfrat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
I, too, have been photographing gravestones in Bucks & elsewhere, mainly concentrating on family and military graves. I recently sent a copy of my collection to Charles Sale at http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php so hopefully they will appear there soon; I'm sure he would be interested in yours as well.
Some of my military ones also appear on Buckinghamshire Remembers (http://www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/) and the Wargraves Photographic Project (http://www.twgpp.org/).
Always happy to share pics, especially in Bucks, although possibly too many to post here!
It's always great to hear of other gravestone enthusiasts.

Dave
DILLWYN - Glamorgan, Brecon & Pennsylvania
NICHOLL - Glamorgan
WELBOURN - Lincolnshire, Canada, Australia
GILBERTSON - Glamorgan, Herts.
MORRIS - Kent
EATON - Dorset
APPLEYARD - Yorkshire
HART - Northants, Kent
FARMER - Worcs
STOKES - Cambs, Northants.
McLATCHIE - Renfrew
CHAPMAN - Kent
ROSE - SE London
JOYNER - Dorset
POWELL - Worcs.
LEACH - Pembs
CHATFIELD - Sussex
WESTON - Wapping/Walthamstow
NICHOLLS - Queenhithe, London

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
I recently went into one graveyard, and upon returning a few months later half the graves had collapsed in on one another because they have a rabbit problem that hadn't been dealt with - there were bones everywhere and no-one was addressing the problem.  Also over at Newport Pagnell someone has been going in and pushing over all the crosses - what is wrong with these people.

A more interesting one was a very old grave which was in lots of bits all over the graveyard which I pieced back together and photographed as a whole - jigsaws rule!

Eileen
GOODALL (from the Wield, Hampshire), LOVE, HUGHES, PERRISS, AVERN, UDLE, HAWTHORNE, CRORIE, MCRORY, MCCATHIE, LAUDER (plus THOMAS and HARTLEY in Isle of Wight)

Offline fenifur

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: gravestones - Burnley?
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I don't suppose you have an picures of graves in Burnley? William H Morley in particular? :) Thanks, Jenny
Vanderkist; London and beyond!
Doe; Suffolk
Hunt; Surrey, London
Reeves; Croydon, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire
Porrett: England, Yorkshire, London
Ward; Croydon, Wiltshire
Batchelor; Croydon, Brighton
Ellis; Croydon, Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire
MacPherson; Scotland
Wills; Cornwall
Taylor; Suffolk
Aldous; Suffolk
Poll; Suffolk
Gathercoal; Suffolk

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't managed to get to Burnley  :(

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
If you give me some more details and I'll see if I can find any information for you.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
It's such a shame to see all this valuable data slowly decaying away.

Unfortunately, in many cases the 'vandal' responsible for fallen crosses is the motor mower !  :-\
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fenifur

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, it's for William Hargreave morley, d.1927, grave A696 if that helps, in the 'old part' of the graveyard I believe, I also believe there are 2 others in the same grave. I'm hoping it won't have been moved/damaged as it wasn't that long ago. Any help would be very much appreciated :)
Jenny
Vanderkist; London and beyond!
Doe; Suffolk
Hunt; Surrey, London
Reeves; Croydon, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire
Porrett: England, Yorkshire, London
Ward; Croydon, Wiltshire
Batchelor; Croydon, Brighton
Ellis; Croydon, Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire
MacPherson; Scotland
Wills; Cornwall
Taylor; Suffolk