Author Topic: gravestones  (Read 5952 times)

Offline SamMapes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gravestones
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
I suggest you to visit your cemeteries or you can search from online and can get details from church.

Offline fenifur

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hmmm yes unfortunately I don't have a spare 100 quid for petrol/train to get up there ;p Have already contacted the church, they gave me the information above, but no photo. :)
Vanderkist; London and beyond!
Doe; Suffolk
Hunt; Surrey, London
Reeves; Croydon, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire
Porrett: England, Yorkshire, London
Ward; Croydon, Wiltshire
Batchelor; Croydon, Brighton
Ellis; Croydon, Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire
MacPherson; Scotland
Wills; Cornwall
Taylor; Suffolk
Aldous; Suffolk
Poll; Suffolk
Gathercoal; Suffolk

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 June 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
You could try seeing if there is a local Family History Group and ask if anyone nearby wouldn't mind popping in and taking a photo - I've done that for people before now.

Eileen
GOODALL (from the Wield, Hampshire), LOVE, HUGHES, PERRISS, AVERN, UDLE, HAWTHORNE, CRORIE, MCRORY, MCCATHIE, LAUDER (plus THOMAS and HARTLEY in Isle of Wight)

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 June 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
I have lots of family graves in mitcham rd croydon and Queens rd croydon.. Taken some photos of family graves and ones with surnames who could be related to me. Still looking for family and one of my G-gran.

I was thinking of taking photos of old graves and i will do this. Some graves flat on ground are well buried,could be my family for all i know.  I've taken photos of grave names who could be related to me

two william coopers and some turners,a potter,Roffey etc... found one of my potters and Lovett..

jew
:)

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 June 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
Ps this in Queens rd,so far.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 June 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
It can often be worthwhile talking to the warden or archivist, especially with churchyard graves.

I recently took a trip to the graveyard where my g.g. grandparents are interred, to see if I could prove any family links to others in the same area with the same surname.  Grave photography proved fruitless because so many stones were unreadable - the grave yard was in SE London, next to a busy road, so I guess pollution had taken its toll.  I was just about to leave in despair, when I found that the church doors were open, and people were milling around inside (a Sunday service had just finished).  I asked if there was anyone available who had access to the burial records, and I was very lucky to find the church archivist actually in the church.

The archivist very kindly looked up the whereabouts of the burial place of my g.g. grandparents, and she also looked up who else was buried in the grave, and we found that their 4-year-old grand-daughter (who they never met) was also interred there.  I left the archivist a list of about 6 other names of people that I was interested in, and some money to cover postage, in the hope of finding out more.  I was pleasantly surprised to get a reply the same week, which listed the resting places of the other people, and found that they too had others in the same grave.  By tracing these others, I am now much more sure that the other people with the same surname were indeed close relatives.

So, don't give up hope if you can't get to a graveyard to take pictures, or if you do get there and find no pictures to take, because quite often there are paper records surviving, and you have to track them down.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have alot of names of graves for mitcham croydon and Queens rd croydon.  Have loads of names for Queens rd. For people related to me in the 1800s Buried there. But would the graves still be there? Found tons of flat stone graves,covered in grass,could i remove this grass so i can see a name? I have also 3 grave numbers and the area where they are,so i have to wait until i see the warden and hope the graves are there still.

I've been taking photos of graves with surnames on my tree,than i can look these people up. Some graves you have to get up close to see the details and i write this down. I've saved the photos,but how do i index the pics with details,i don't know how to do this. And if anyone who have family over Queens i can look and see if i can find a surname they want.

jew

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 June 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Sometimes the graves are still in place, I recently went to a graveyard and they had taken lots of old stones and piled them on top of one another along with any rubble they had and you couldn't read any of them - such a dreadful thing to do.

GOODALL (from the Wield, Hampshire), LOVE, HUGHES, PERRISS, AVERN, UDLE, HAWTHORNE, CRORIE, MCRORY, MCCATHIE, LAUDER (plus THOMAS and HARTLEY in Isle of Wight)

Offline eagoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 June 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose you'd like to pass the info on to me too by any chance?

An excellent and worthwhile project.  We have something similar going on the Lancashire board although we are just concentrating on the one cemetery and our transcriptions are going to be donated to Manchester Archives.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,481713.0.html

http://mgctp.moonfruit.com/

Luzzu  :)