Author Topic: Sisters of moved to Philladelphia early 1900s  (Read 1904 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Sisters of moved to Philladelphia early 1900s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
I looked at an awful lot of Clarices and Claras and Clarissas, so it's a bit of a pisser to later be told that maybe her name was Caroline and Sarah just might be Louise.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
A little bit of a mix up on the 1920 Census in Philadelphia Ward 33, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They were coupled with the household above but this is the family

Anish Cartwright 40 Born England. Ship-Worker.
Caraline Cartwright 39 Born England. House-keeper
Evelyne Cartwright 12 Born PA
Edna Cartwright 10 Born PA

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
On the Naturalization Document it says Ernest De Quincy Cartwright was born in Leicester 15th Oct 1879. He immigrated from Leicester to New York 10th August 1900 and arrived 18th August on the Lucania. Declared his intention on the 5th July 1916 in the District Court. Philadelphia. His wife's name is Caroline - Born September 23 rd 1880 Leicester. Children are Eveline - July 16th 1907 and Edna Doris July 17th 1909 - both born Plymouth. Pennsylvania.
Ernest was a Hosiry Worker - had a medium to dark complexion - 5ft 8ins tall. Weighed 140 lbs.  Had Black/Brown Hair and Grey Eyes. No distinguishing marks.
If you would like a copy please send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will send for you.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
The SSDI shows a Evelyne Bachman with the birth date 16 th July 1907 who died July 1986.
Last Residence: 17801  Sunbury, Northumberland, Pennsylvania,. The Social Security Number was issued in Pennsylvania.  Could be a possibility for your Evelyne Cartwright.  ???

Also an entry for Edna Cartwright with a slighly different birth date but the same last residence:-

Edna Cartwright
Born 11 July 1909 and Died July 1986 - Last Residence: 17801  Sunbury, Northumberland, Pennsylvania,  SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

Very strange that both names are listed as deaths on the same day  ???

Regards
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
This could be the husband of Evelyne:-

Robert Bachman
Born 4 December 1905 and Died June 1978
Last Residence: 17801  Sunbury, Northumberland, Pennsylvania,
SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

Regards
Sandra

Offline Ham60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 April 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Erato -Sorry if I confused you but just going through Mum's old paperwork and photos.  Clarice was her family name but I couldn't find that name anywhere in records.  Mum did get a little confused!  Always led to believe two Sisters and husbands went to Philidelphia.   I think there were 6 or 7 girls born to Joseph and Caroline.

Sandra - I am really grateful for your help. Many thanks for this it has thrown up a few surprises.  Would you be able to see if Evelyn and Edna had any children?  Will send you my email.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Ham60,

Documents sent.  Unfortunately the USA does not have a BMD Index, what is available varies State to State and County to County but there is nothing online for the time-frame you require to check out any children that Evelyne and Robert may have had.

On the 1910 Census it stated Louisa Hammond arrived in 1909. She appears on New York Passenger List for 2 January 1909, travelling on SS Luisitania. Going to her brother-in-law Ernest Cartwright in Plymouth. PA - no further details.

Regards
Sandra