Author Topic: joseph beat - Completed  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: joseph beat born 1822 dundee angus
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
Joseph Beat's death certificate shouldn't be hard to find, and it should name both his wives if he was married twice.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: joseph beat born 1822 dundee angus
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry Forfarian  :-[

somehow i seem to have missed your reply
i obtained joseph's death cert.(died 1900)
widower 1st helen(think this should be agnes) moncur , 2nd ann smith
everthing else including his parents and occupation seems to match up

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: joseph beat - Completed
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 October 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hard to beat! I research all Powries,it's my maiden surname, but also the name of an evil elf in Scotland.If you look up red cap, dunter or Powrie you'll see malicious creatures who haunt lowland Scotland. It's an old gaelic placename and there are two castles named South Powrie and North Pourie 2 miles north of Dundee.

Your family could have lived near there, had a Powrie relative. I will look at his birth tomorrow and see if I can draw a connection. If it was the ministers first christening,the child was named for the minister, which has given me fits at times, looking for a family connection when there isn't one.

Mary Powrie Schacht
world experts in Powries.n (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

To send a Personal Message just click on the small green scroll to the left of the post of the person you wish to contact.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 November 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I went up both lines, went from beats to Beat.

Sarah Smith Beat died in Dundee Gros ref. 1898 BEAT SARAH SMITH F 76 ST ANDREW (DUNDEE) DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/04 1114  I downloaded both hers and Joseph Beat 1900 BEAT JOSEPH M 83 ST ANDREW (DUNDEE) DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/04 0628 if anyone wants them, no connection to the Powrie surname, but it is a placename from Dundee area. There are two castles, south powrie and north pourie, which may be near to one of the them, worked on the estate of one.

joseph's siblings:
Alexander Burns Beat <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XB8M-8J3>
Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
birth:   31 Jul 1827      
christening:   05 Aug 1827   DUNDEE,​ANGUS,​SCOTLAND   

parents:   Andrew Beat,​ Helen Grubb   

David Beat <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBZ1-7S9>
birth:   20 Jan 1830      
christening:   31 Jan 1830   DUNDEE,​ANGUS,​SCOTLAND   

Elizabeth Beats <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYP5-YQ1>
birth:   10 Dec 1857   DUNDEE,​ANGUS,​SCOTLAND   

parents:   Joseph Beats,​ Sarah Smith   

Powrie Beats <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY16-QFZ>
birth:   27 Aug 1862   DUNDEE,​ANGUS,​SCOTLAND   

parents:   Joseph Beats,​ Sarah Smith
parents:   Andrew Beat,​ Helen Grub   

Joseph Beat <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XB8M-CNY>
birth:   23 Nov 1822      
christening:   01 Dec 1822   DUNDEE,​ANGUS,​SCOTLAND   

parents:   Andw. Beat,​ Helen Grubb

If I were in country I could check guild records, rental records etc. but I will search the Angus Monument inscription books I have at home.  Mary Powrie schacht, oregon registered one name study researcher for Powrie surname.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 12 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Got it! Sarah Smith was born to james Smith and Grace Brown. Under her brother Willim Smith's tombstone at Eastern Ncropolis, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.

Angus Dundee and Broughty Ferry, Volume 4, Page 223a, Number 7 reads: William Smith 6.11.1887 76, w Eliz Galloway 10.1.1873, s Chas C d 1848, sis Sarah Smith Beat 22.11.1898 76, sis Annie 13.4.1900 92, sis Mary  5.10.1903 79, sis Grace B. S. Powrie 17.2.1905 90.  Sarah's sister Grace Brown Smith married Alexander Powrie, and

finally Powrie beats was named for his Mum's brother-in-law. alexander Powrie is buried at St. Madoes Kirkyard, St. Madoes, Perth, Scotland.

In Memory of Alex Powrie 24.12.1868 and three children died (as) infants, by wife Grace Smith
Since this stone is next to 7, there may be a connection to Grace Smith. 1796 by John Smith in Cottown and wife Margaret Whittet in Memory of daughter Barbra (this is correct spelling) 16.7.1786 4 years 4 months (west side) winged soul, rope medallion with crown over hammer (for a smith)  There was a Whittet and Powrie somewhere.....in my memory

Mary in Oregon

Offline Daleez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I see you are looking at the Beat family and the man called Powrie Beat that your looking at happens to be my Great Great Grandfather and so any information that you find I would be very grateful.
  I have started a family tree if anyone needs some more information and its on the Ancestry Website.

Dale :)