Author Topic: Bagaat Family  (Read 3082 times)

Offline clanjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bagaat Family
« on: Thursday 07 April 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
I recently received a death certificate of a great x3 grandfather Thomas McClelland born 1863 Ulster, Ireland. He and his wife arrived in Western Australia in the late 1880's aboard "Gulf of St Vincent". His death certificate in 1939 states he married Margaret Jane Bagaat in 1885 Castleblaney, Monaghan Ireland and have assumed her family have come from there.

The deat cert is very legible and shewas alive so I have assumed her details were provided by Margaret.

I can't even find a "Bagaat" family, birth records oranything so wondering if anyone can give me some tips where to go from here.

Thank you for your time
Melissa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bagaat Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Suspect the surname "Bagaat" is a mis-spelling (although she was alive perhaps she was illiterate or very upset when giving the death certificate details).

There's a marriage in the civil registration index for a Thomas M'Clelland Oct./Dec.1884 Castleblayney district volume 1 page 523- will see if I can search for the matching bride.

Have searched the LDS Pilot site (where I found Thomas' entry) and new LDS site but can't come up with match- closest is Margaret Bagnall except it's colume 1 page 533 instead of page 523  :-\

What about birth certificates for any of the children? or even Margaret's death certificate?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clanjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Just looked at her daughter's birth cert and wow she is listed at Margaret Bagnell. I hadn't noticed it at all and now I need to change some things. Thank you as Bagaat was taking me no where.

With your ref, will I be able to get a marriage cert from Ireland? Could you please tell me where to order them from. Also do you know if it will give any of her Dad's details.

Thank you for your help, this is my first Irish ancester and have been finding records hard to search in Aust.

Melissa

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
see links below for notes on ordering certs from the GRO and the details included on a marriage record.

All you need are the references aghadowey mentioned when ordering the cert. For a marriage the vital references should be the same for the bride and groom, which they are not in this case. Maybe when ordering the cert mention that you have conflicting references and give both sets of details - hopefully the GRO will find one marriage and only charge you for one cert.

It's possible that a mistake was made creating the original index, or the page references were transcribed incorrectly or misread when creating the familysearch index.

i.e.

Thomas M'Clelland, Oct./Dec.1884, Castleblayney, volume 1, page 523
  Margaret Bagnell, Oct./Dec.1884, Castleblayney, volume 1, page 533
  (name, year quarter, registration district, volume, page number) 

see :
 Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
I'm glad that the mystery of Margaret's name is now sorted. Do let us know if you need more help after you get the marriage certificate. Once we have exact places (townlands) we might be able to find more details in Irish records or at least suggest where to search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clanjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help and Shanes. I have ordered the marriage cert and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thank you for all your help - another brick moved off the wall.
Melissa