Author Topic: Oliver Howard 1891 Census  (Read 1280 times)

Offline joolesbarr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Oliver Howard 1891 Census
« on: Thursday 07 April 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I am trying to find Oliver Howard born 1876 in St George, Bristol, Gloucestershire.  I have him in the 1881 census living with Joseph Howard born 1821 in Bitton and Elizabeth Howard born 1823 in Bristol, it says that these are his parents!  They seem very old to me to have him as a Son... there is 16 years between him and their other youngest child!!! But thats one for another day.  By 1891 both Joseph and Elizabeth are dead, I have checked all the other children and he is not living with any of them in 1891... can anyone find him for me?

Thank you all in advance    8)
Chenery, Eastley, Bennellick, Easton, Puddicombe, Hearn, Madge, Kennard, Scrivener, Davy, Meen, Cook, Salter, Turner, Jewell, Crossman, Moore, Collacott, Lockyer, Beer, Sellek, Fley, Retter, Widger, Rowden, Snell, Light

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver Howard 1891 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Best not to leave Oliver's parentage for another day   :)

On familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/

you will find the christening of Oliver Howard s/o Sarah Jane Howard at Abbots Leigh, Bristol on April 23 1876.

you will also find a marriage of Sarah Jane Howard to George Holloway  at Abbots Leigh in 1882.  The transcript says her father is Joseph HOLLOWAY - but I suspect someone has made a mistake with the surname.

1891 census shows a widowed Sarah J Holloway with several children, including Oliver, aged 15, born St George, Gloucestershire (same birthplace as Oliver Howard has in 1881)

Census ref:  RG12/ Piece: 1979/ Folio 131/ Page 4

George Holloway was a widower when he married Sarah Jane, so although all the children present in 1891 are recorded as sons and daughters of Sarah, some may be George's, but not hers.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joolesbarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that, I will try and unravel all this.  Thanks again
Chenery, Eastley, Bennellick, Easton, Puddicombe, Hearn, Madge, Kennard, Scrivener, Davy, Meen, Cook, Salter, Turner, Jewell, Crossman, Moore, Collacott, Lockyer, Beer, Sellek, Fley, Retter, Widger, Rowden, Snell, Light

Offline joolesbarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
There you go thats that solved.  Sarah Jane Howard was Joseph and Elizabeths Daughter, (it threw me because the birth was in an area the family didn't come from, but that could of been because she was unmarried), but instead of Oliver being put down as their Grandson he was put down as their Son.... phew thank you again