Author Topic: Tonner/Collins  (Read 3178 times)

Offline ivylea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tonner/Collins
« on: Friday 08 April 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an Owen Tonner/Toner b abt 1809 co armagh and an Elizabeth Ann collins b abt 1818 Co Armagh.

They were living in Kirkcowan, Wigtownshire, Scotland in 1861 and as I can't find them on the 1851 Scottish census think that they must have married and moved to Scotland just after that time as their first child was born there around 1852.

Both of Owen's parents were listed as unknown on his death certificate but Elizabeth's father was listed as Edward and states he was a crofter.

I'm grateful for any help that anyone may provide.
 :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tonner/Collins
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tina68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 13:57 GMT (UK) »
hi,
my greatgrand father was called Owen Toner b1860 Armagh, he married in Bathgate Linlithgowshire in 1885 then lived in Motherwell Lanarkshire till he died in 1928 . Could they be related or is it just coincidence ? His parents were
Peter Toner and Catherine Mcgill , it would be brilliant to compare family.
  hope to hear from you regards Tina
toner davis purvis purse bussey o'hara collins mcgill

Offline ivylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
Tina,

I'm really sorry, somehow managed to forget that I had posted this and only found it again when I did an internet search.

At the moment I can't see a connection between your owen tonner and my one. However he did marry  an Elizabeth Ann Collins/O'Hara (1818-1895) who was also from Armagh and noticed in the footnote that you also had possible connections to Collins and O'hara's.

I now have various Tonner branches on my tree, including your one. Do you have an ancestry account?

Leon

Offline tina68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
hi Leon,
I have just seen your message I do have a tree on ancestry. My grandfather William Toner b1887 in Linlithgow they moved to Motherwell .I also had O'hara and Collins it would be brilliant to compare tree's .
Hope to hear from you soon
    regards Tina
toner davis purvis purse bussey o'hara collins mcgill

Offline spartam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm researching Toner family from Armagh.  Michael Toner b. @1811 died 1894 in Ballintemple. His wife was Rose and her maiden name is thought to be Costello.  Their children Patrick, John, Michael and daughter Rosetta came to America (Philadelphia) @1880.  I believe they also had two other daughters Susan (married a Gilday) and Mary (married O'Hare) who remained in Ireland.  The daughter Rosetta was my ggrandmother.

Also, John Terence Toner (went by Terence) b @1859 Armagh was the son of Patrick Toner & Elizabeth McParland.  He came to Philadelphia @1880 and married his 4th cousin, Rosetta, mentioned above.   Are any of these names familiar. 

Marianne