Author Topic: Friel's of Argyle Street, Greenock  (Read 8559 times)

Offline DANNYODA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Canadian Freill descendant
    • View Profile
Re: Friel's of Argyle Street, Greenock
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry I do Not have his Birth certificate, I actually got the DoB from his death certificate Which I do have (original).  As for his parents they are John Freill/Friel & Mary Bridget Erskine, I figure he was born in Largs like his younger sister Annie(Freil) 1881, However older sister Helen (Friel) was born 1874 in Greenock, Renfrew

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:15 BST (UK) »

Hello Danny,

Yes i also think he was born in Largs, 1878. the problem is The spelling of the surname its coming up on Scotlandspeople as Frail. Its most likely his parents could neither read or write not unusual in Scotland, at that time.

Going by the marriage certificate for James and Elizabeth Smith, 1899. it also states as you mentioned Elizabeth, was aged 25 years on the certificate, well she was a fair bit older than that, she to was born in Ayrshire.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:37 BST (UK) »

Hello Danny,

Elizabeth's, parents on her marriage certificate were Robert Smith, and Margaret Murdoch, this couple were married 13/May/1864. Stevenston, Ayr. Scotland.

Elizabeth Smith, was born to them on 03/Sep/1867. Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland. she had at least five other siblings, her father was a Quarryman, which concurs with what she states on her marriage certificate.

The most likely reason for her reducing her age on the marriage is that she is marrying a 21 year old.

Also James, parents both died in Largs.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline DANNYODA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
I was just looking thru all my research & stuff .... Trying to put all these things together.

To John
Yes I do know about Elizabeth's parents, Robert Smith and Margaret Murdoch, I actually have her Grand-mother Elisabeth Sinclair's Death Notice.
I hope this does Not come out rude !! NOT my intention, As you all probably know, in this kind of research it is very easy to end up in all sorts of directions. So For now I just don't want to stray off the FREILL path.

Just to Repeat .... Also James, parents both died in Largs
When !?  Where does this info come from !? How about their Marriage / Births any Info ... or even info on their Kids (I have info on Elen, Annie And of course James My G-Grand-father)

Again ... Thank you Very Much !!!!!

To aghadowey
I am Still curious about that Online family tree you mentioned  Because that is the right Info ... Where is it !!??

Thx
Danny

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
The tree I saw was on Ancestry.com/Mundia.com.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:08 BST (UK) »

Hello Danny,

The big problem is how to prove catigorically that Mary Erskine, your great grandfathers mother is also Bridget Erskine.

If Bridget, is Mary, then Bridget, died in 1902. in Largs, Ayr, aged 58 years, which is about four years out going by the 1881 census i provided, again not unusual, her death index is this spelling Bridget Friel Erskin.

On James and Elizabeths marriage certificate 1899. it states Mary Freill Erskine, is still alive, so thats another pointer.

On the same marriage certificate it states James, father is deceased, 1899. If you go by that then there is only one death for a John Friel, in Largs, Ayr. that is in 1883. age 36 years, again this is out by about 3 years going by the 1881 census i provided.

These deaths can be purchased at Scotlandspeople, for a reasonable fee, and should provide the parents names of both Bridget, and John, provided the person who registered their death had that information.

Also if you agree that the family i posted in the 1881 census for Largs, Ayr. is your family then the three birth of Michael, Maggie, and James, should provide the date of marriage of their parents which should be somewhere in Ireland.

Its really up to you whether you take the chance to purchase the certificates.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline DANNYODA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
As you say ... Its really up to you whether you take the chance to purchase the certificates

CHANCE ! That's the problem isn't it, So many sites say We have info on !! Just PAY first Then well Actually MAYBE it is HOWEVER I know a Few who did just that & ..... Nothing !!

Still  Thanks Again
Danny

Offline s.applebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 September 13 04:06 BST (UK) »
I am also a Canadian descendant of the Friell family name. I have a great great grandfather John Friell married to Bridget (Erskine), no dates or locations. I was told they were from Scotland. One of their children Helen Erskine Friell was married to my great grandfather, George Austin Applebee, no dates but i believe it was in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She died in March of 1908 and was buried on the 20th of March 1908 in Notre-Dame-Des-Neiges Cemetery. They had 4 children, including my grandfather. On the 19th of April 1909 my great grandfather married Annie Erskine Friell, the younger sister of my grandmother. He had 6 children with his second wife.  Annie died in April of 1943, also buried NDDN Cemetery in Montreal.
Applebee/Gibbs/Doherty/Spearman/Friell/Downey/Cantwell/Moore/Austin/Erskine/Lake/Gorman/McGuire/Cosgrove/Sullivan/Fox/Coles

Offline s.applebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Danny... and everybody else
Notre-Dame-Des-Neiges Cemetery in Montreal has a free searchable database.
The 1911 fifth Census of Canada is also searchable and available for free.
Danny I got your PM. I will be in touch in a couple of days.
No “PM” rights for me yet... New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
Anybody have access to passenger lists out of the UK? Looking for:
George Austin Applebee immigrated to Canada in 1891 or more likely 1895.
Helen Erskine Friell immigrated to Canada in 1895... Possibly on the same ship since we're not sure exactly where they met or married yet.
also Annie Erskine Friell younger sister immigrated in 1900.
Thanks
Stephen
Applebee/Gibbs/Doherty/Spearman/Friell/Downey/Cantwell/Moore/Austin/Erskine/Lake/Gorman/McGuire/Cosgrove/Sullivan/Fox/Coles